DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am rennovating my kitchen and will need new everything, range, refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher and Front Load washer, dryer
Was considering a Bosch package but not impressed with some of the reviews i have read. can you please recommend to me

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
The best place to find that answer is a local appliance store. Not a big box retailer. Go in and get to know them, they are a wealth of knowledge on the products they sell. They also will have a good service dept that actually has trained service tech's. The big box stores will tell you what ever you want to hear or what they think you want to hear. I have a local appliance store that I know the owners well. They are able to answer any question I have on all major appliances and know which brands have issues (they all do).

·
#1 HAWKEYE FAN
1,903 Posts
Samsung front load laundry is great. Maytag- Whirlpool makes a good range and dishwasher. Samsung makes good refrigerators.

·
Registered
152 Posts
It depends....all the brands you mention may excel in one area, and in others they may fall short. e.g., I believe Bosch dishwashers are the best. I used to have one in an old house and when I bought a new house with an old DW I ( stupidly ) didn't get another one. I did get a Kitchenaid, and I hate it. Loud-er than the old Bosch, loading isn't near as efficient, and it was about $100 more than a Bosch I was looking at. Buyers remorse from the first time I ran it, LOL.

Check reviews of items you're looking at in various places - big box store's web sites, Amazon, a local appliance store, etc. See what other people say about them. Everything has something people wont like, and things they love, and those things are different for different people. I have a Maytag french door fridge, with ice/water through the door. I was the Ice2O series, one of the first fridges to come out like that back in 2006. Overall the fridge has been pretty good, but one thing drives me batty with it....no matter what I do, a sliver or full cube of ice always ends up on the floor from the dispenser, sometimes multiple cubes/slivers. I was reading a recent review of a newer model, and the same issue still plagues them, which I found pretty funny that in 6 years they still haven't fixed that.

If you happen to be looking at Kenmore or Kenmore Elite appliances, keep in mind Sears makes none of them, they're all made by another manuf - LG, GE, Samsung, Whirlpool, etc. and in some cases the same model from the "original" maker is less expensive than the Kenmore one. I think Whirlpool is now touting "made in the USA", I saw a fridge with that on big sign on the inside. I think they say they're made in Oklahoma, or somewhere out in that area. The sign should more accurately read - "assembled in the USA", as that's what's really happening, since every part of their construction is made overseas.

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,889 Posts
Fords are better that Chevys (IMO).:thumbup:

Use Consumer Reports and get informed, unbiased ratings. I would not stick with a single brand, go with the best ( within you pocketbook) for each appliance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Bosch ... run away! Run away!

My Consumer Report highly recommended Bosch, a high rate of not clean dishes and lock mechanism malfunction. Sometimes the dishes are dirtier than when they went in. No, I'm not joking. More dirty dishes within a single finished load than my contractor grade Roper had in 5 or 10 years. Also wicked long wash cycles.

I'd put its operation in the category of frail.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
You are replying to a 7 year old thread. Regardless, it sounds to me like you have not cleaned your filter in the bottom of the dishwasher. As a result, debris is being blasted onto the dishes. Check your owners manual, or go online to get instructions on removal. Usually very simple to do.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
I always consult consumer reports but I also learn from experience, mine and others.
Samsung has poor quality customer service. My neighbor had a nice big french door Samsung refrigerator that had to be repaired multiple times under warranty. They should stick to making phones.
I have GE appliances not because they're the absolute greatest but because when I call for service I have a genuine GE repair person in a GE truck show up within a day and they usually have any needed parts on hand. Other companies will send a sub contracted repair shop that will usually take 2 trips to do the repair. First to diagnose and order the part. Second trip (days later) to install the part.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I know the thread is old, the question is still relevant, for new shoppers, as manufacturers no longer live up to their (outdated) reputation. The other new comment, service, also relevant.
I know to wash the filter, which is a fine filter, which collects mainly grease, not food. Which adds more work to its use.

Bosch's inept design causes high incidents of ineffective cleaning. Where the soap dispenser sits, for instance.
Overall, a major step backward, from my builder installed bottom of the line workhorse of 25 years, Roper. It just worked, every time.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
We replaced our kitchen in 2014, and bought a "top of the line" Frigidaire package, dishwasher, gas range and refrigerator, mainly because they were thed only ones that had smudge proof stainless steel. The first time my wife used the self clean function on the range, the walls of the inside of the oven spread apart from each other, so that the oven racks were too narrow and would simply fall any time you tried to put a roast or anything a little heavy on the rack. They sent us new racks, which solved nothing. We had to get my nephew to weld an additional wire rib to the rack. Also, there were 3 cast iron grates covering the burners, but the middle one was higher than thed other two, do you could not slide a pot across the range. After 2 plus years of fighting with Frigidaire about this, they finally refunded the cost of the range, but only after I bashed them on Facebook at every chance. The dishwasher required a service man to come out and replace the control board twice. It failed again, but it was out of warranty at that time. Rather than fixing it, I ripped it out and replaced it with a Maytag, and I couldn't be happier with the Maytag. I have rental properties, and I have vowed NEVER to buy anything from Frigidaire, or from any of the other subsidiaries of Electrolux.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes, it is wrong, if it's not true. "Rather than fixing it, I ripped it out and replaced it with a Maytag, and I couldn't be happier with the Maytag."

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
There are two major manfacturer of appliances in the us.

Whirlpool and GE.

Whirlpool makes Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, JennAir and Amana appliances.

GE appliances are now owned by Haier, a global appliance manufacturer based in Qingdao, China. They make GE, GE Profile, Café, Monogram, Haier and Hotpoint. GE appliances are made in Louisville, KY and 4 other states. Some may be made overseas though.

As for which are best, as others mentioned, it depends. All appliances suck, and all appliances are the best. Look at the reviews and you will see what I mean. One person will love a GE dishwasher and another will think it is the spawn of the devil.

All appliances need regular maintenance to operate at their peak efficiency. Clean the filters on all appliances that have them. Run cleaning cycles on your range, dishwasher, clothes washer, etc as the manufacturer recommends. Just like cleaning the lint filter after each load.

I have a KitchenAid gas range, Whirlpool refrigerator, Samsung OTR microwave and a GE dishwasher. I chose those appliances based on my needs and price. I like the semi-commercial look of the gas range. It has the burner power I want and it had 5 burners.

The fridge also had to have certain features for me to even consider it. Filtered water and ice out of the door. It had to be a french-door style fridge and it had to fit in the space we had. Plus, the icemaker should be in the door and not take up fridge space like Samsung and others do.

If you go by consumer reviews, read the 1 stars and 5 stars to see what people find to be the best and worst issues of each appliance. Then, check the dates of the reviews. For example, a KitchenAid dishwasher, model xyz, had a lot of bad reviews. Mostly concerning the cleaning ability. And a lot of 5 star reviews saying it is the best at cleaning even stuck on food.

If you look closer at the bad reviews, they are mostly from 3-5 years ago and the bulk of the 5 star are more recent than that. That means to me that there may have been an issue but it was fixed.

Conversely, if the 5 star reviews are mostly from a year or 2 ago and the most recent reviews are 1-3 star that tells me that something changed for the worse.

Also, look at what people are complaining about. Most issues are typically not appliance related but how people use them. Dishwashers require at least 120 degree water or means to heat the water to the correct temp to work the best. Spots come from not using a rinse aid. Also, use the proper amount of detergent and the correct type. We used a dishwasher detergent that was wrapped. The dishes did not come out as clean as we were used to. Then we read the directions and this particular detergent required the wrapper be removed while our old detergent had a water soluble wrapper.

For refrigerators, people tend to put too much stuff in blocking air flow so it may not cool evenly. Dryers require the lint filter to be cleaned and sometimes the clothes need to be untangled (like sheets). Clothes washer may have filters that need to be cleaned out, front loaders should have the door left open to prevent a stinky smell. Also, people use too much or too little detergent or the wrong type. If your washer is an HE, use HE detergent. And put the detergent in the proper location.

·
Registered
35 Posts
"look at what people are complaining about. Most issues are typically not appliance related but how people use them."
Which is stepping backwards.
120 used to be the dishwasher's heating element's job. It doesn't "save" anything to move operational requirement to end users. I see this poor engineering at work also, mainly from EEs writing software. My absolute least favorite: "... will force the user ...". Engineering, make it easier for users, not the engineer.

Overall quality,
In my search, hundreds if not thousands of Why doesn't the flippin' latch work on my fairly new machine and WTHeck does this error code mean?

Mr. tells me his relatives in India have 70 year old refrigerators still running. Friends tell me some of their appliances are failing in less than 5 years.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
"look at what people are complaining about. Most issues are typically not appliance related but how people use them."
Which is stepping backwards.
120 used to be the dishwasher's heating element's job. It doesn't "save" anything to move operational requirement to end users. I see this poor engineering at work also, mainly from EEs writing software. My absolute least favorite: "... will force the user ...". Engineering, make it easier for users, not the engineer.

Overall quality,
In my search, hundreds if not thousands of Why doesn't the flippin' latch work on my fairly new machine and WTHeck does this error code mean?

Mr. tells me his relatives in India have 70 year old refrigerators still running. Friends tell me some of their appliances are failing in less than 5 years.
Until recently, most water heaters were usually set at 140 degrees which met the dishwasher requirements. When energy got expensive, to save money most people turned down the water temp to 120 degrees or cooler. Which is not hot enough for the detergent to work well. (End user created problem)

Also, when phosphates were eliminated from dishwasher detergent, cleaning power was also reduced, to combat this detergent manufacturers turned to other means to help clean better. Enzymes were a popular choice. However, enzymes do require the dishes to be dirty to work best. A lot of people rinse their dishes which removes food particles which are needed to for the enzymes to work. So they complain that the dishes are not as clean as they wanted. Another end user created problem easily solved by not rinsing your dishes. Remove large particles and of course any bones, gristle, etc..

Assuming that the heating element in most dishwashers is meant to heat the water to the proper working temp sets you up for failure. In most dishwashers, the heating element is used to maintain the water temperature and for drying the dishes. It was not meant to actually heat the water to the correct temperature. Another end user created issue with lower water heater temps and assuming facts not in evidence.

However, manufacturers are now incorporating a better/stronger heating element to raise the water temperature. But they still require 120 degree incoming water. On some models, there is an option to select to raise the water temp. On some, it is incorporated.

As for the other issues you mentioned, latches, error codes, etc.. again, they may also be end user issues. If a machine spawns an error code, look it up in the manual, it should tell you what the problem is.

I am not saying that manufacturers always make good engineering choices, there are definitely poor designs out there, I am just saying that a lot of issues can be traced back to the end user doing something incorrectly.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Fords are better that Chevys (IMO).:thumbup:

Use Consumer Reports and get informed, unbiased ratings. I would not stick with a single brand, go with the best ( within you pocketbook) for each appliance.
I agree with your suggestion to not go with a single brand but go with the best one available regardless of brand. I've had four dishwashers so far, Roper, Whirlpool x2 and currently have a Bosch. The Bosch wins hands down.

I lost all faith in Consumer Reports when they claimed that the Bose 901 speakers were great. They actually are terrible speakers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
"End user created problem"?
How was my 120 degree water heater setting adequately service a Roper for 25 years, but not the Bosch?
How is most days latch works, other days with dishwasher empty or full, never sets, a presumed user problem?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts