DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just removed the GFCI that produced smoke when I pressed the test button. It is a 15 amp GFCI. The circuit breaker to the GFCI says 20 amp. My house was built 10 years ago.

Which new GFCI should I buy? 15 amp or 20 amp?

·
Super Moderator
15,355 Posts
The only difference is the 20 amp has a T shaped slot. The 15 amp will be fine. You probably can't find a device that requires the T slot in your house.

Reactions: mike932

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I just replaced the GFCI with a new one. I turned on the circuit breaker. GFCI does not work. I tested all of the wires and there is no charge at all.

What do I do now? Replace the circuit breaker switch?

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Did you hit the "reset" button? Being it's new, you have to do that the first time to 'start' it.

DM.

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
You already said the next step then!

(disconnect power first, of course)

DM

·
Super Moderator
15,355 Posts
The circuit breaker may just need to be reset.

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
No, I don't think he caught the part where you said you turned it back on is all.
IF the breaker STAYED turned on, and the outlets do not work, there is most likely an open in the line somewhere.
If the breaker shuts itself off, there is a short.

DM

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I turn the breaker to the on position, it stays that way even though there is no power from it. In fact, when the old GFCI failed last week and produced smoke, none of the circuit breakers switched off by itself.

Does "open in the line" mean the line is interrupted?

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Trace line to first outlet, examine, continue until you find the loose wire.

DM

·
Registered
97 Posts
Going back to the original question, if you've got a potential 20 amps available to be going through the receptacle then I would use a 20 amp receptacle. I would imagine the electrical code would state that.

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
So I just replaced the GFCI with a new one. I turned on the circuit breaker. GFCI does not work. I tested all of the wires and there is no charge at all.

What do I do now? Replace the circuit breaker switch?
readar: The original 20a question has been resolved.
See post #3 above. The new problem is "no power."

DM

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am going to buy a sniffer today instead of using my multimeter. That should make it easier to find a charge, right?

1 - 20 of 139 Posts