DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an old family cabin in need of a repaint. It was built in the late 20s and has been painted for several generations now, but was neglected in recent years so is past due on the repaint. The crew handling the deck rebuild and some other waterproofing work will be doing the painting, but it's up to me to get the paint. They had suggested EasyCare from WeatherAll, but in the past I'd always followed advice to steer clear of hardware store paint (but I know some of the TrueValue paints are from the same mfg as Benjamin Moore, maybe this is one?). I have easy access in town to Pratt & Lambert (was thinking maybe the Gold Velvet) or Dunn Edwards (maybe the Spartashield flat or velvet). I of course don't want to waist the labor in putting on a paint that won't hold up, but it's always going to be a beat up old cabin so don't need a super high end paint either. It will get sun and a bit of winter snow and I hear the eggshell/satin finishes tend to last a little longer, but I also like the way flats hide the flaws. Any advice on what paint and (assuming we don't use the EasyCare) primer would be a good choice?

·
retired painter
13,624 Posts
First it would be helpful to know what condition the siding is currently in. A good paint job always starts with good prep! Most any brand's better coatings should do a decent job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.