DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have concrete block w/stucco one story house in Florida Gulf coast. There are a few areas that are showing some cracking along the base--not enough to have it re-coated--it is more fading and dingy. We bought the house 5 yrs ago and don't know what paint was used by prior owners or last time it was painted.

Two contractors bid the job--
one did our daughter's house 2 yrs ago (same exterior as ours) and still looks very good. Was a friend's recommendation and has good reviews on Angie's List--he uses SW brand

Other did the interior of this house when we bought it and we were very pleased--got his recommendation from the BM dealer in town---did good job--held up well after 5 yrs--good attention to detail where planes met

Both bids will caulk around doors, windows, gutter joins and pressure wash exterior. Both will paint garage doors and front door with latex...

SW--uses Kover Crack elastomeric patch for cracks, Loxon primer/sealer coating, and Duration latex acrylic paint

BW--Pressure wash, patch cracks (but didn't specify what material), Fresh Start exterior sealer, and Aura exterior stucco paint...

FWIW we are basically holding to same color palette--darker grey for trim, garage doors and white w/very light grey tint for walls...

I know the BM guy works with his crew...
The SW guy does not but doesn't mean his guys wouldn't do good job w/o him

Any comments on materials or suggestions for what the process should be to ensure a quality job...
This is FL and likely will have rain at some point in the process--
How long do they wait after rain?
I know low temps have definite impact on painting surfaces--
what about high temps or high humidity--can they prevent a good result?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
They both sound good to me. I would go for the company whos owner is going to be on the crew, of course that can backfire. I've had bosses try to make me cut corners when they were around.

I would go with BM, just because I hate SW, but thats a bit of a personal matter. Also, the BM guy is using a paint designed for stucco. Im not familiar with it, but I would rather use that, than a regular exterior acrylic.

·
retired painter
13,624 Posts
I used to work in central fla and have painted countless stucco houses. The main things to pay attention to is the prep [paint won't adhere well to chalk!] and the quality of the coatings. Masonry paints tend to be of lower quality [not familiar with BM's Aura stucco] I always got the most life out of using a quality latex house paint versus a masonry paint.

Not sure you can get away from the high humidity in fla but there are times when high heat can cause the paint to dry too fast. Painting in the direct sun makes it worse.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.