DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! I want to fill the crack with mortar. Since the bricks are red, I have to mix the mortar with the cement color. I saw two similar cement color, red and terra cotta in the HD. Do you have experience to use the cement color? Do you think which cement color is the best to match the red color brick wall, the red or terra cotta? See the red wall at
http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt74/followshot/MortarCrack.jpg
. Thank you for your answer.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Take a look at the ceramic tile caulks----they are available in a lot of colors and might be the answer.

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
Not going to match it.:) You may only get close.:)

Using caulk will prove to be a different texture even if sanded caulk is used.:)

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
You will not match it for sure if relying on the HD offerings. Go see what your local building supply and concrete supplier can offer. My concrete counter/fireplace facade guy can match your wife's nail polish if you are really picky.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I saw some posts suggested using ceramic tile caulks. But, the mortar is the best to use the exterior wall between the bricks. Is it correct? The only problem is no colorful mortar but cement color only after it dries. So, I have to mix the mortar with cement color to repair the mortar between exterior wall bricks. Do you know any better colorful material to repair the mortar? See the picture at http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt74/followshot/Mortar-1.jpg

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
I saw some posts suggested using ceramic tile caulks. But, the mortar is the best to use the exterior wall between the bricks. Is it correct? The only problem is no colorful mortar but cement color only after it dries. So, I have to mix the mortar with cement color to repair the mortar between exterior wall bricks. Do you know any better colorful material to repair the mortar? See the picture at http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt74/followshot/Mortar-1.jpg
Nothing you do will match exactly, but if you are very, very lucky, you will find the perfect match. But then as it ages, it will unmatch because it's not the same as the original product and will age progress differently.
But the crack is so insignificant that you really don't need to worry at all.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nothing you do will match exactly, but if you are very, very lucky, you will find the perfect match. But then as it ages, it will unmatch because it's not the same as the original product and will age progress differently.
I am asking about the cement color and material to repair the mortar on the exterior red brick wall.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
compiler -

You started out saying you wanted a mortar to match the red brick when the existing mortar does not match either the brick or the white vinyl. Trying to "tint" a small amount of mortar with a good material (pigment) is like playing with dynamite because it is so strong you would end up counting grains or a powder. Any tinted mortar will always change color as the cement cures.

You have a brick veneer and a vinyl window and you need a good flexible caulk that will stick better the two dramatically different materials/colors. Mortar will not adhere to vinyl and there will eventually be a crack, just as you have now. I suggest getting a quality caulk in a color similar or compatible to the existing mortar, since you will not be able to tint caulk. This is not an obvious problem since you have to be close to even see a crack or color difference AND looking for it.

To do it right, you will have to rout out the mortar between the brick and the vinyl, clean out the dust and caulk properly.

I assume the brick is a real veneer with air gap behind.

Dick

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
But, I did not see you answered the mortar repair and red cement color are what I needed. Rather, you said something irrelative, didn't you?

Reactions: Bud Cline

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
go find something else to worry about & forget that insignificant crack :laughing:

it should have been a sealant rather than mortar but those guys got paid & they're gone,,, our home is the same way but nothing will force me to do anything about the crks unless my bride, nagzilla, happens to inspect 'em :yes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts