DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys- Sorry if this a dumb question but I just really need to know. I am adding a 220 line to run a newly used hot tub/ spa.

It calls for a 50 amp 220 v connection, which seem pretty standard. I have room in my box and will be hiring a pro to do the wiring. In order to keep the cost down I am able to supply the material. My problem is I can't seem to find the correct style/size breaker. My exsisting panel uses pushmatic breakers ( ok , I know they are dated '81, but theey are working fine) it seems the 60 amp and 70 amp can be sourced through HD but the 50 amp is in the witness protection plan!

I know its unpopular to mix breaker styles but #1) can it be done, ie is it safe and #2) acceptable to most inspectors?

Is it possible to use the bigger breaker without resizing the wire (which by the way is the most expense part of this project)

This relates to my main load center not to the outdoor disconnect which will be 50 amp gfci

Thaks for all your help- in advance

·
I=E/R
2,052 Posts
Is it possible to use the bigger breaker without resizing the wire (which by the way is the most expense part of this project)

This relates to my main load center not to the outdoor disconnect which will be 50 amp gfci

Thaks for all your help- in advance
The breaker in the panel is sized to protect the wire that it serves. The ampacity of the wire can be higher then the breaker size but not the other way around.

·
Licensed Pro
1,571 Posts
You can only use Pushmatic breakers in a Pushmatic panel. Get a 60A breaker, use 6/3 (NM if it is all run inside) to the GFCI disconnect. You need three conductor because you need a neutral at the GFCI.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so the plan was to run the 50amp and alum. wire inside - to the outdoor the disconnect. The outdoor spa disconnect having a gfci 50 amp and copper whip to the tub.
So my question then becomes can I run 60amp inside then step down to 50amp at the diconnect????

Would 60 amp for the whole job casue a problem considering the the tub only calls for 50? as stated in the orginal post the 50 amp breaker is in hiding?

thanks again

·
Lic Electrical Inspector
1,843 Posts
so the plan was to run the 50amp and alum. wire inside - to the outdoor the disconnect. The outdoor spa disconnect having a gfci 50 amp and copper whip to the tub.
So my question then becomes can I run 60amp inside then step down to 50amp at the diconnect????

Would 60 amp for the whole job casue a problem considering the the tub only calls for 50? as stated in the orginal post the 50 amp breaker is in hiding?

thanks again
The wire from the Pushmatic panel to the disco is a feeder. If you use a 60 amp breaker then the conductors have to be sized for 60 amps. The GFI breaker supplying the tub can be 50 amp and the copper whip has to be sized for 50 amps also.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys - this has really cleared it up- the 60 amp breaker can be picked up locally and appears to be a insignificant increase in price = options = problem solved!!! I will just step down to 50amp at the disco.

Thanks!!

·
Licensed Pro
1,571 Posts

thanks again
If you are running Al wire inside, then it needs to be at least #4ga for the hots and neutral. Grounding conductor can be smaller.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts