DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for paint recommendation for cedar siding in rainy Seattle. Last paint job only lasted 2 years before paint started to peel off. Also I would appreciate any tips that would make paint last longer.

·
retired painter
13,624 Posts
IMO all the quality latex house paints are about the same. You do want to make sure the existing paint is clean and any bare wood is dry before it's primed. Peeling paint is often indicative of moisture behind the paint.

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
I think the question is what is the best primer for exterior cedar siding. What I have seen on a family member's cedar sided garage is that the paint commonly comes off right to the bare wood.

·
Premium Member
8,055 Posts
Cedar, in general, holds paint very well. There has to be other issues if it’s peeling in 2 years time. Post some pics and maybe we can diagnose the issues.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I painted over (already painted) cedar siding 10 years ago with S-W Super paint (Satin finish) and it looked still pretty good when I repainted this year. 10 years ago, I scrubbed the whole thing (do not power wash - I used a brush, water, and tsp-phosphate free, plus my garden hose). Then I scraped any loose paint, making sure to get anything that was even slightly loose. I primed the entire house 10 years ago (but not when I repainted this year). The north and east facing sides probably could have gone a few more years without repainting; the south and west facing sides were fine but ready to be repainted. S-W is pricey and I read they're increasing prices another 7% in August. If you set up an online account, you get 25% off which can then be stacked with their $10 off $50 coupons you'll find on their site.

If the paint is peeling, you could have water retention in those areas. This can happen if someone caulked the underside where the top piece of siding sits against the piece under it. Someone had done this in a few spots with my house - it only keeps the water from coming out (same might happen if the paint has built up in that spot in a similar way). They also put heavy caulk at the edge against the trim board in one location where there's SW exposure. I suspect they were trying to deal with issues from the exposure, and caulking it just held water in, aggravating the problem. I ended up replacing siding in that area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.