DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Which 23g pin length for trimming stair treads with cove

I understand that a 23g pinner is considered by some as a good way to attach trim directly to other wood. I also understand that it is a good idea to use a little construction adhesive along with the pins when doing so.

I am planning my stair remodal project and bought a Hitachi NP35A 23g pinner for attaching stained hardwood cove to the stair risers/treads (like that shown in the example picture below). Can anyone suggest what length pins to use for attaching this cove? The cove may be 1/2" x 1/2" or 3/4" x 3/4". I have not decided that yet.

The Hitachi pinner accepts 5/8, 3/4, 1, and 1-3/8" pins. I thought I would ask rather than buy a pack of each pin size to try. I will only use the pinner for this one project and do not need 3 packs of pin sizes that I will not use. Also, what brand/type of construction adhesive would be best to use for this application? I would guess something like that shown below would be OK.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments

·
Roofmaster
3,731 Posts
Ive heard of brad guns, staple guns, finish nailers, Roofing nailers, and framing nailers. WTH is a PINNER? or is this an attempt to sound cool?

Reactions: hkeiner

·
Registered
252 Posts
I wasnt trying to sound nasty at all. Muy post wasnt meant to be like that. Im here to give advice and not blast someone. When we build our stairs at the shop, we use 1/2 by 3/4 for our non pine cove and 1/2 by 1/2 for pine. We fasten it with 1" 18gauge brad nails and we havent had a single complaint in the 9 years I have been building. We also never use glue.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
WTH is a PINNER? or is this an attempt to sound cool?
I am a newbie to nail guns. I learned most of my 'nail gun' terminology recently looking at online-forums, ads, and such. I have been using a hammer and nails for the last 30 years, but my latest project got me to thinking I should start using a nail gun for trim work around the house. Avoid unsightly nail holes in stained hardwood trim.

Thanks to everyone for their great advice and comments. I am going to use 1" pins (along with a bit of wood glue) to install 1/2" x 3/4" cove to the stairs, as suggested.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.