DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goto plumber uses these and I've not found them at the big box hardware store. Same BrassCraft brand, but different angle/ball valve style, and this model turns much more smoothly & easily compared to the fatter handle ones I could find in store.

I guess try to find them at plumbing supply store, but where might I look online for this in terms of terminology or model name?

Bathroom Gas Plumbing Plumbing fixture Electrical wiring

·
A "Handy Husband"
13,530 Posts
You ain't looking hard enough, all the big boxes carry them. 1/4 turn stop valves.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk
They come in compression, sweat, threaded and push to connect styles.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, maybe my local stores don't stock them well. Have to keep shopping around until I hit a store that has it. I for sure searched my local store and didn't see any in the aisle. I tried searching online at Home Depot as well, but haven't come across a picture listing with an angle valve of that shape, the results return the fatter style, for example:

if you find the right listing at Home Depot (or Lowes or other big box store) online, please share.

·
A "Handy Husband"
13,530 Posts
Well, maybe my local stores don't stock them well. Have to keep shopping around until I hit a store that has it. I for sure searched my local store and didn't see any in the aisle. I tried searching online at Home Depot as well, but haven't come across a picture listing with an angle valve of that shape, the results return the fatter style, for example:

if you find the right listing at Home Depot (or Lowes or other big box store) online, please share.
Your link is a 1/4 turn.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right, I posted a link to a valve of the same type, and there is nothing wrong with it. The difference is in the quality & style of the valve. For an analogy/comparison, think of sink faucets (say single handle for example) - they all work the same, but come in different finish, style, and some may work better than others - a difference in brand, model.

My point here is the link I gave is to the most common/popular style/model in my area, but it is not the "premium" model. The one my plumber used that I posted the photo for seems like a more premium design, that looks a bit nicer and certainly turns better (more smoothly, easier) than the popular model. I tested this in the house and at the store, I have some of the popular model 1/4 turn valve in the home too, and those ones along with the parts sold at the store simply don't turn as smooth as the nice model. So as I asked in my post, I'm specifically lookin for that exact model for where can I find one in that exact style/shape. What I do know is it's from BrassCraft.

·
A "Handy Husband"
13,530 Posts
Brass craft KTR19

They also have compression and FIP versions.

·
Usually Confused
8,071 Posts
It you can't find one that looks exactly the same, buy two, replace both.

·
Registered
10,769 Posts
Yes, I think the OP's complaint is the handle shape. The 1/4 turn handles he linked only have one "arm" as opposed to the one in his original pic, which has two, making it easier to turn.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the latest links, that's what I am looking for. And FYI, it's not just the shape that makes it easier to turn, I can turn the other handle type just fine. This particular shape just turns so much easier with little resistance, it's like this shape is well lubricated/oiled compared to the other shape, if these things are lubricated at all. Like a sliding glass door that slides effortlessly vs one that requires you pushing it along.

I don't know if the supply house link generically uses same description for all brasscraft angle stop valves, but the description in that link, really describes how the valve feels during operation:

Precision-machined brass ball is specially engineered and mated with PTFE seats to provide smooth operation without freeze ups even after long periods of non-use
can't say about absolutely no lockup, but it certainly is really "smooth" to operate. Smoothest ball/stop valve I've ever operated between indoor, outdoor stop valves. Be nice if all ball/stop valves were made this smooth.

·
A "Handy Husband"
13,530 Posts
can't say about absolutely no lockup, but it certainly is really "smooth" to operate. Smoothest ball/stop valve I've ever operated between indoor, outdoor stop valves. Be nice if all ball/stop valves were made this smooth.
Do you operate them that often that it really makes a difference?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, good point, but it's just nice to have a better operating one, and one that's less likely to lock up. If I had to replace indoor stop valves, I'd replace with this kind when I can.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts