DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for very plain moldings with a square top, about a half inch wide and 3.5 inches tall, with no added curves or fancy cuts. I would have thought they would be easier to find, but every molding seems to have some decoration.

Does anyone here know of a good resource for this?

Also, is there a name for this type of molding? I've been doing searches for square, rectangular, plain, block, with no luck.

Thanks in advance.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Home Depot caries a molding like that $1.79 per foot ---looks like the moldings popular in the 1920s.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply! I couldn't seem to find it there though - do you happen to have the link handy, or know what terms I should be searching on?

I went through their whole molding section but didn't see it.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
I don't have a link,sorry--and I have to many receipts to look through to find you the SKU number--

I bought some two weeks ago---and also trimmed a whole house with that about 5 years ago--so it's a stock item.

It looks nice butt jointed if you roll over the cut edge with a router or a sander.

It also works well with a 1/2" corner bead if you want a little more detail.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
It is 3 1/4" x 1/2" (as I recall)with a simple rounded edge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ahh! A rounded edge, that's why I couldn't find it. I've been looking for a square or flat topped one. I have a fairly modern apartment and I've seen the squared off top moldings installed but I haven't been able to find one online. At least not as thin as I'd like; .5" thick or so.

Thanks for the help though - if I can't find a flat top one I will likely go with the plain rounded.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
I don't know your area--but around here we have several trim and millwork suppliers---these are the places I go to for interesting trims --they have Poplar--maple --cherry --oak and everything but pine and MDF--

See if you have a trim and millwork supplier---Often the prices are better than the box stores and they will have long lengths for less waste.

·
Super Moderator
12,637 Posts
One quick pass through the table saw and round be gone.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
It's called lattice. It comes in various widths. All clear wood.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts