DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I will drink bottled tea as long as it is Pure Leaf. To my taste, the rest are worthless.

In the summer, I drink a lot of ice tea. I found the best way to store it in the fridge using the following that I got from Target.
Rectangle Gas Plastic Street light Liquid

I use twice the recommended amount of tea, either loose or in bags as the ice will dilute it. I have a large tea ball to hold the loose tea or I use cheese cloth to hold it.

Since I make craft cocktails, I usually have double strength simple syrup around for those who like it sweetened.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
probably because Canadians take their tea (like the Brits ) seriously and there isnt the demand for ice tea which is usually pretty second rate stuff even in US. Ice teas even when brewed are usually done in large quantities and sits around getting bitter over time. I do enjoy a well brewed ice tea without sugar when made fresh (Personally I think sweet tea is awful, but everyone has there preference . I never order ice tea in the southern US because of that).

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
I have iced tea at home with lunch. When we go out to lunch I order water. I am too cheap to pay an inflated price for a glass of tea. I do tip well because my glass of water made the server work as much as a glass of tea.

Reactions: wooleybooger

·
1,690 Posts
Speaking for my area of Canada, the central prairies, tea is not all that popular here. Coffee is generally the drink of choice for many people, and in restaurants it is offered with or after every meal. Hot tea drinkers often don't notice that the hot water for their tea is often served from a pot of water that was heated when the restaurant opened in the morning.

In this area, iced tea is sweet, either mixed from instant powder, or from a can like soda.

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,551 Posts
In SC and most areas of the old south (don't include Florida) if you ask for tea with a meal, you will get iced tea that is so sweet that it tastes syrupy. You can get unsweet tea but you have to specifically ask. I ask for unsweet tea with a splash of sweet. If you want hot team you better make it clear what you want.

"In this area, iced tea is sweet, either mixed from instant powder, or from a can like soda."
Yuk and double YUK, that ain't tea.

·
1,690 Posts
In SC and most areas of the old south (don't include Florida) if you ask for tea with a meal, you will get iced tea that is so sweet that it tastes syrupy. You can get unsweet tea but you have to specifically ask. I ask for unsweet tea with a splash of sweet. If you want hot team you better make it clear what you want.

"In this area, iced tea is sweet, either mixed from instant powder, or from a can like soda."
Yuk and double YUK, that ain't tea.

Some people find it refreshing, but as you say that ain't tea.

And instant coffee ain't coffee, it's a hot caffeinated beverage. Some people prefer it. But also YUCK.

·
Usually Confused
9,867 Posts
Here’s my theory about ice tea and the lack of popularity with Canadians. In cold weather It is not as appealing. It’s so hot down here that I drink iced tea all day long in the summer. I boil water, throw in 8 green teabags, no sweeteners.
Fair point, but I still maintain it is largely cultural. We (including northern US residents) tend to be a little more 'cold tolerant' than folks in more southern climes; we don't don parkas when it goes down to 60*F 😁

My brother and I were out for a m/c ride the other day. It was in the upper 60s F and more cloud than sun. At lunch, he ordered iced tea, I ordered coffee. Go figure.

To turn it around a bit, in the US south if, after dinner, if you asked for 'tea' (as opposed to coffee), what would you get? Here, it would be hot tea.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
I usually have unsweetened iced tea with lunch at home but it is fall in western NY and apple cider is in season, and it is very good this year. For a while it will be my lunch drink.

• Love
Reactions: Startingover

·
Registered
7,684 Posts
I usually have unsweetened iced tea with lunch at home but it is fall in western NY and apple cider is in season, and it is very good this year. For a while it will be my lunch drink.
Love cider. a lot of apple orchards back in Ohio and places selling cuder.

Back in high school kids that had barns would have senior class parties and guess what our beverage was? I still like it to this day!

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
There used to be cider presses at almost every farm stand that sold apples. A few years ago the state banned selling unpasteurized cider (and using apples that fell to the ground) so places selling cider are fewer. But pasteurization kills the germs that make cider change taste, so now it stays as sweet as when freshly pressed for a lot longer. The mixture of apple varieties matters significantly. We patronize a farm stand throughout the growing season but we get our cider at another place because they use different apples and we like it better.

Reactions: Startingover

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,551 Posts
There used to be cider presses at almost every farm stand that sold apples. A few years ago the state banned selling unpasteurized cider (and using apples that fell to the ground) so places selling cider are fewer. But pasteurization kills the germs that make cider change taste, so now it stays as sweet as when freshly pressed for a lot longer. The mixture of apple varieties matters significantly. We patronize a farm stand throughout the growing season but we get our cider at another place because they use different apples and we like it better.
IMO. paterization ruins cider, turns into apple juice

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

·
Naildriver
20,097 Posts
I know this thread started with iced tea, but somehow wound up with pasteurization. As I grew up, it was not uncommon to drink raw milk from the cows. We had a dairy who delivered milk and one of their featured items was raw milk. IMO, no better full taste than raw milk. But the gumment won out and we have to get it all pasteurized now.

·
Registered
7,684 Posts
I know this thread started with iced tea, but somehow wound up with pasteurization. As I grew up, it was not uncommon to drink raw milk from the cows. We had a dairy who delivered milk and one of their featured items was raw milk. IMO, no better full taste than raw milk. But the gumment won out and we have to get it all pasteurized now.
That’s the milk I grew up on.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts