DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went on a hunt to buy z-flashing yesterday, and at all three big box reno stores here (Home Depot, Rona, and Reno Depot), all I got were blank stares and shrugs. Some will bend aluminium for $3.80 a foot.

Lots of fascia and drip edges, no z-flashing. Any idea of where else I should look for this stuff? I'm burdened with the extra challenge of trying to explain this in French.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
It is commonly used with the T 111 siding so if they sell that particular siding they should have or be able to get the flashing. You may have to draw a picture and use only single sylable words to communicate with the oracles at the big box stores.

·
Super Moderator
12,219 Posts
So I went on a hunt to buy z-flashing yesterday, and at all three big box reno stores here (Home Depot, Rona, and Reno Depot), all I got were blank stares and shrugs. Some will bend aluminium for $3.80 a foot.

Lots of fascia and drip edges, no z-flashing. Any idea of where else I should look for this stuff? I'm burdened with the extra challenge of trying to explain this in French.
Go to one of the bigger HVAC companies, they'll have a large brake and will bend up whatever you want. $3.80 a foot seems out of line to me, I can get stainless steel Z bent for about $1.60.

Strange that the box stores don't stock it. I looked on a Quebec HD site and couldn't find it either.

·
Civil Engineer
5,832 Posts
You can make your own Z flashing pretty easily by building your own brake. I made a crude brake using a hardwood 2x4 screwed down to a piece of plywood. I got the idea from a This Old House episode. I made my own copper Z flashing for several windows and a door, and I bent some aluminum flashing for a deck. Worked quite well, all I had to do was buy roll copper and roll aluminum, much less expensive than purchasing premade Z flashing, plus I could make the flashing whatever width was necessary.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts