DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys another paint question

I have a paint can that is a flat base white paint from one-Olympia. I am actually not sure who stocks these paints.

My question is, can I do to any paint place (lowes, sherwin-williams, etc) and they will match the paint 100%? It does have the paint color number in the bottom

Problem is I want it to touch up the marked scratched areas, but not stick out. I remember my mother used the same color for years and she would retouch it and once it dried, it wont stick out; just blends in with the older paint. (if I make sense)

Just worried once I use the same paint to retouch, its going to stick out and have to repaint everything again.

options?

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Theoretically, you can go into a Sherwin-Williams with a competitor's color and they can look it up in the computer and figure out how to make it even without a sample. But I've had bad experiences with this.

The exact sheen can be hard to match as well. A flat SuperPaint and a flat Master Hide look completely different.

For the best match, stick with not only the same manufacturer, but the same exact line of paint.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
As much as I don't like Behr paint I must admit my local HD is great at matching paint colors. If I can take in sample about the size of a quarter of the dried paint, Like remove a switch plate and cut out a piece. I guess i'm lucky about 90% of the time you won't be able to find the spot I painted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Go to The Home Depot paint department an ask them to both color and sheen match your paint, you can buy as little as a quart. Make sure before you leave that the color match is exact, if not don't purchase it. BTW, THD has a comparison guide for sheen matching in there computer system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.