DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I buy the "Butt Boards" for the butt joints? Home Depot? Menards?

Can they be used on ceilings?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
The ones I use I get from Trim-Tex have never seen then at the box stores. Might want to try a drywall supplier. Yes they can be used on ceilings.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Our Spenard's have no butt boards, butt (ha ha) they have strips of cardboard that you can staple to plywood and make your own. I made butt boards for my shop out of plywood and strips of felt paper, but slicing all that felt got old. The cardboard strips are cheap and will be fast. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Does anyone know of a link that shows how to install butt boards properly on a ceiling? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
i've only used 'em once, so i am no expert. a guy here posted a pic of "real" ones, and they were about 7" wide w/ 1" wide strips near the edges. that leaves a gap between the two strips of about 5 1/2". the strips need to be about 1/8" thick, though mine were probably mostly less than that. i just hung a sheet, insert the butt board, and screwed it in, ensuring that i was not so close to the end of the 'rock that it broke out. when you install the next sheet, you'll see both 'rocks bow in a hair. that's all they need to do. mud right over the valley formed by the bowed 'rock. done. that's my take on the muthas. pretty simple, pretty slick.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I do have some of those drywall shims, and they are about 1/8" thick.

If I made some butt boards, would plywood or OSB be best? I thought the butt boards were wider than 7".

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Pretty sure wider than 7" will go measure one shortly. Yes you can make your but I don't think I would trust cardboard. I would be afraid the edge would collapse when the sheet is tightened against.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Yet another reason why I prefer plaster vs drywall. No visible joints ever, and no special splices or butt boards needed.

·
Registered
8,394 Posts
make your own, very easy. DON'T use 1/8th, way to thick. you will be damaging the DW when screwing. you don't need, nor want a 1/8 deep joint. thick non corrigated cardboard is what i used, caulked down to 1/2 osb. and make the osb as wide as the cavity they are going in. and screw at least 1" away from the end of the DW. do one side completely. then do the other side, working from one end.

Attachments

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys. When using butt boards, do you still stagger the butt joints? Or just line them all up in a straight line?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts