DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are 3 way switches mandatory only for stairs?
Do I need to install them if I'm building a "walk - through" laundry room in the basement.
The room will have two entry doors (two points of entry).

·
Super Moderator
20,923 Posts
Are three ways actually required on a stair or just a light switch at the top and bottom. Could be two separate lights.

·
Registered
9,276 Posts
NEC 210.70(A)(2)(c)
Where the stairway between floor levels has six risers or more, a wall switch must be located at each floor level and at each landing level that includes an entryway to control the illumination for the stairway.

·
Registered
414 Posts
i was always told that if you had more than one point entry to a room three ways were required. when you think about it's just common sense. why would you want to walk across a dark room?:smile::smile:

·
Registered
414 Posts
sometimes the nec can't beat common sense. i don't know about you but try walking through a cluttered room to find a light switch.i know maybe it's not required, but neither is leaving spares for future growth in an attic.this is just the way i was taught. on another note why else would they make them?:vs_bulb::vs_bulb::vs_bulb:

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I think what he was getting at was that you used the word "required". Common sense isn't required :) ...if it was a lot more people would be in prison for lack of it.

Also interested in what joed asked. The way I read this:

NEC 210.70(A)(2)(c)
Where the stairway between floor levels has six risers or more, a wall switch must be located at each floor level and at each landing level that includes an entryway to control the illumination for the stairway.
it still doesn't answer his question. All I see is that you have to have a switch at the top and one at the bottom. Whether or not they control the SAME light, or just that each controls A light is left unspecified. For energy savings, etc I can see wanting them to be 3-ways, but the NEC (as far as I know) doesn't care about energy savings........yet.

·
Registered
9,276 Posts
Your right, I was reacting to the word required.
I believe in 3way/4way switching as needed/desired.

If the stairway switches are going to "control illumination for the stairway", I think that pretty much implies that you have at minimum a 3 way switch arrangement controlling all stairway lights.

I don't think that the typical AHJ would pass 2 lights each on their own switch. If you turn on the bottom switch/light, go upstairs, how do you turn it off ? The upper switch does not (at that moment) "control illumination for the stairway".

·
Super Moderator
20,923 Posts
I would agree that the stairway probably requires three ways.
I don't think a room requires them but I believe it does require a switch at each entry.

·
Registered
9,276 Posts
I don't think a room requires them but I believe it does require a switch at each entry.
Are you talking CEC, or NEC ?

AFAIK in the NEC, the only mandated locations for light switches are the Stairway 3ways (top and bottom). Other than top and bottom, the exact placement is not specified.

Room light switches can be anyplace you want them. It's considered a design issue, not a code issue.

Most light switches are placed where the designer or electrician thinks they should go. (If they don't agree, the electrician usually wins)

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
I smell a troll.
Classic spammer. Boosting post count with "thank you" posts so they can have an advertising signature or PM spam.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
sometimes the nec can't beat common sense. i don't know about you but try walking through a cluttered room to find a light switch.i know maybe it's not required, but neither is leaving spares for future growth in an attic.this is just the way i was taught. on another note why else would they make them?:vs_bulb::vs_bulb::vs_bulb:
code does not recognize future expansion

1 - 19 of 19 Posts