DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve owned my house 8 yrs and painted all 8 rooms soon as I moved in. I was on here all the time getting advice. I used SW paint. I remember back then someone advised repainting every 5-7 years.

How do you know when to repaint? I think my walls still look great. I live alone. Every so often I use a dusting Swifter on my walls. It amazes me the dust that comes off. And, I still like the colors.

What’s your advice?

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
I’ve owned my house 8 yrs and painted all 8 rooms soon as I moved in. I was on here all the time getting advice. I used SW paint. I remember back then someone advised repainting every 5-7 years.

How do you know when to repaint? I think my walls still look great. I live alone. Every so often I use a dusting Swifter on my walls. It amazes me the dust that comes off. And, I still like the colors.

What’s your advice?
I think you are bored.:vs_laugh::vs_laugh::vs_laugh:

·
Registered
740 Posts
If you are not a smoker and don't burn a lot of wood in a fireplace the wall paint can last decades on your interior walls. Outdoors it is more a matter of sun damage and seeing paint thickness decline over time from exposure.

·
Premium Member
8,029 Posts
I say take a look at your walls, which you have done SO, every 5 or 6 years to check for dings, marks, discoloration, etc. If they look fine, no need to repaint. I just sold my home and had painted 8 years ago. With 4 people living in the house, it was just starting to show signs of looking a little meh. I'd say living by yourself, you may not have to repaint EVER. I mean, really! I've done homes that were painted so well that 30 years went by before a re-paint. Of course, that's if it doesn't bother you to have a color palette that may be extremely outdated.

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Good. What I hoped to hear. No fireplace. No smoking. No darling little kiddy’s with grubby hands.

Forgot who told me.

Back in Ohio my mother painted often saying it was due to the gas furnace. (and coal furnace before that) But no furnaces in Florida.

Appreciate all your input.

·
retired painter
13,130 Posts
You repaint when either it needs it or you want to change the color. I've done repaints where the customer said the last paint job was 20 yrs ago and the walls looked decent. I've painted walls where the paint job was only a yr or two old and it looked rough. My living rm, kitchen and dining rm were painted about a dozen yrs ago and could use repainting ..... but the walls don't look bad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.