DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This 3/4" tongue and groove has black markings only on one side. Only around outer edge. Looks exactly like mold. Bought yesterday from Lowes. They didn't know what it is, said it comes that way sometimes.

Could it be part of cutting process? Mold is the only answer i have.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Definate mold. Depending on what I was going to use it for, I'd either forget about it, spray with Clorox and water, or take it back and get a new one.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,726 Posts
Was supposed to be kitchen sub floor
It's going back.
Wise decision!

That has been wet and been made unfit for human domiciles.

The management at Lowes should be made aware of their garbage, as they can be sued by the EPA / HUD for causing someone's child harm.

ED

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
if thats one of the choices you had to choose from, Id suggest a different lumber yard in the future... besides the mold, looks like the sides are pretty beat up.

·
Registered
37,261 Posts
I have not used plywood for sub flooring in at least 10 years.
You would be far better off using Advantech instead.
Far more stable, lifetime warranty, no voids, more water resistant.

Reactions: de-nagorg

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
For whatever reason I couldn't do the thumbs up on danagorrgs post...BUT ADVANTECH is most definitely the way to go. Very solid, no voids, structurally stable all directions, self gapping and way easy to install. Ron

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My local Lowes has 3/4" t&g Georgia Pacific OSB for $18; had the same blue stripe on edges. a Lowes further away has the Advantech for $28. Is the Georgia P stuff the same thing?

·
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
4,319 Posts
My local Lowes has 3/4" t&g Georgia Pacific OSB for $18; had the same blue stripe on edges. a Lowes further away has the Advantech for $28. Is the Georgia P stuff the same thing?
OSB is not the same thing at all.
I used it in my house and at first that is what I thought was going to show up.
Advantech is extremely heavy and dense. Strong like crazy also.
It users some kind of water resistant glue to bond the strands together as well.
Do not use OSB on your floors. (please) Especially in a kitchen or washroom.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
A smart move. Here is one way to think about it. Ten bucks more per sheet of ADVANTECH, thirty sheets, three hundred bucks.....for a product that is far better, easier to deal with, etc. etc. I've built my own house, and a few for habitat, so I know about saving....but there is where you are trading off saving a few bucks against a higher quality sub structure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts