DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought a lighted ceiling fan that is supposed to work with both LED and CFL bulbs, but it actually doesn't work well with LED. It works fine with CFL, but they look horrible and the light goes nowhere.

Before I return the light kit and/or fan, I know that there are better and worse qualities of bulb brands. Does anyone have a recommendation for warm CFL bulbs, and do any of them spread light well?

·
Registered
708 Posts
I don't understand what you're asking; all CFLs distribute light all around in the same way. And as for the "warmest", do you mean one with the warmest color temperature? You can get a red CFL if you want... But if you want warm white then use one that is 2700k (most of them are).

·
Registered
12,787 Posts
some of the cheaper 2700ks are greenish - they don't have enough red. use philips or sylvania.

·
Registered
708 Posts
some of the cheaper 2700ks are greenish - they don't have enough red. use philips or sylvania.
The cheap CFLs are often pinkish, not greenish; I haven't seen many greenish CFLs. I wonder why.

I have an old Philips marathon and it makes a very nice brownish tinted warm white, with no ugly pinkish tint. So it is similar to incandescent (incandescent makes a brownish tint).

·
Registered
12,787 Posts
I've seen both actually with the older no-names being green.

Pink would be too much red, greenish not enough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts