DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We moved into this house 4 years ago and since day one the area around the back wall has leaked. The wall was an "addon" to enclose a covered patio. 3 years ago we tried resloping the concrete in the area to help it drain away, but I think we worsened the situation. I'd like to know, if I had the chance to completely redo this area, how SHOULD it have been done? Grind the concrete down so it is sloped down, away from the house? Or bring the wall all the way out to the edge of the slab so water drains right off the siding?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,627 Posts
Hey bigburb, there’s a few ways to deal with this. Could you post a picture of the entire wall?

·
Super Moderator
12,627 Posts
The flashing as mentioned was my first thought and would work. I was hoping the wall wasn’t in as much of an exposed traffic area as it is.

If you don’t want it to look like a mistake you could build another wall out flush with the slab so the siding can lap over as it should be. The only interior issues would be wider window sills and door jamb.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok well we are going the flashing route, it is cheaper and is going to take less time to accomplish (and less remove of existing windows). What should we seal the seams of the flashing with? Air duct mastic comes to mind, because we can slather it on rather liberally, but I'm not sure if its waterproof or appropriate for this situation.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ok well we are going the flashing route, it is cheaper and is going to take less time to accomplish (and less remove of existing windows). What should we seal the seams of the flashing with? Air duct mastic comes to mind, because we can slather it on rather liberally, but I'm not sure if its waterproof or appropriate for this situation.
This is good for your application:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hm it seems my local home depot doesn't stock the 15LM, all I see is SikaFlex SL Self leveling sealant, Sikaflex concrete sealant, Sikaflex mortar sealant, and Sikaflex construction sealant.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hm it seems my local home depot doesn't stock the 15LM, all I see is SikaFlex SL Self leveling sealant, Sikaflex concrete sealant, Sikaflex mortar sealant, and Sikaflex construction sealant.
I believe the concrete sealant is the HD version of 15lm. Make sure it is polyurathane.

The construction sealant should be 1A (wrong app)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, we successfully built the entire thing, flashing and integrated door pan. We're in a severe drought here so who knows when it'll get tested, thanks for the advice!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts