DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have OSB up here right now by mistake. The inspector says I have to take it down before I can get the framing inspected. But what should I put back up? This is Florida. It rains a lot. So I don't think any type of drywall is a good option. Does that leave me with either stucco over plywood or cement board?

Attachments

·
retired framer
63,205 Posts
You should ask the inspector, is it a problem with the OSB or just that he can't inspect it? We do a vinyl soffet either vented or not and you need a dam up there to keep the insulation over the house. But I don't see a problem with OSB.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should ask the inspector, is it a problem with the OSB or just that he can't inspect it? We do a vinyl soffet either vented or not and you need a dam up there to keep the insulation over the house. But I don't see a problem with OSB.
It's because the inspector can't see the trusses. It's nothing with the OSB itself.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is cement board an option? Or is that only if I'm going to tile it?

Is OSB/plywood an option just painted? Or would that be only if I'm stuccoing?

·
retired painter
13,607 Posts
So you should be able to remove the OSB and reinstall it after he inspects, correct?

I used to paint a lot of new residential construction in fla and many used moisture resistant [green] drywall. In theory it will last because it never sees any rain and paint will protect if from the humidity. Personally I like vinyl or aluminum.

·
retired framer
63,205 Posts
It's because the inspector can't see the trusses. It's nothing with the OSB itself.
What was the first plan, stucco? Just take it down for the inspection and put it back up. You could put stained or painted wood up there.

He is being a dick, he could have inspected from the attic.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So you should be able to remove the OSB and reinstall it after he inspects, correct?

I used to paint a lot of new residential construction in fla and many used moisture resistant [green] drywall. In theory it will last because it never sees any rain and paint will protect if from the humidity. Personally I like vinyl or aluminum.
Something about having drywall (even MMR) out in a hurricane doesn't seem right to me as a long-term plan.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What was the first plan, stucco? Just take it down for the inspection and put it back up. You could put stained or painted wood up there.

He is being a dick, he could have inspected from the attic.
The "exterior porch ceiling" situation slipped my mind until 2 days ago. So I just decided stucco in a hurry. Originally, I thought the inspector told me it had to be up for wall sheathing inspection. Today, she says I must have heard wrong. Oh well. No sense arguing or getting on her bad side.

So I suppose it will be the same OSB put up. I'll decide whether it will be stucco or paint at a later date. Probably just paint though.

·
retired framer
63,205 Posts
He will want to see insulation hold back dam around the porch. We just use left over osb at least as high as the insulation will be.

Attachments

·
retired framer
63,205 Posts
The "exterior porch ceiling" situation slipped my mind until 2 days ago. So I just decided stucco in a hurry. Originally, I thought the inspector told me it had to be up for wall sheathing inspection. Today, she says I must have heard wrong. Oh well. No sense arguing or getting on her bad side.

So I suppose it will be the same OSB put up. I'll decide whether it will be stucco or paint at a later date. Probably just paint though.
What ever the finished product will be, it should go up before the stucco as with the vented soffet on the rafter tails. We do a vinyl soffet level for the tails.

If you do the porch with vinyl soffet, use the narrow product, the wide one sags to much while the wide one is good for the shorts in the soffet.

·
retired painter
13,607 Posts
same OSB put up. I'll decide whether it will be stucco or paint at a later date. Probably just paint though.

If you intend to paint you should coat the OSB with an oil base primer first. That will seal all the tannins that are in the different chips of wood so they won't bleed thru your finish paint.

·
retired framer
63,205 Posts
Sounds simple. Where I am we do NOT close off a wall or ceiling space until framing inspection is done. Just have to move on in order.
Same here but I would have expected it to be treated like a wall where you can inspect it from the other side, in this case, the attic.

What is there to inspect, nails and hurricane hangers?

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
Vinyl soffit over osb for no paint.
Medium density overlay (MDO) if you want to paint it.

Reactions: mark sr and Nealtw

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Same here but I would have expected it to be treated like a wall where you can inspect it from the other side, in this case, the attic.

What is there to inspect, nails and hurricane hangers?
Yup. And of course you’ll get the inspector who is being a dick just because you jumped over him in the process. In general, we try to make the inspectors our new best friends from the get go and get the benefit of a more than occasional “you say you did it, I don’t have to see it” deal.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Install a Fry Reglet slotted vent designed for Stucco. Than Stucco the soffit it than will match your exterior & last longer than most other exterior materials.
Sand float the finish in what ever color you select NO painting required.

·
Hammered Thumb
4,164 Posts
I am not sure what all the talk about venting is for. There is a second floor above, not an attic. It looks like a balcony. Remove the OSB for inspection and leave it off until the electrician can wire your recessed lights.

As for the finish, I would advise against leaving the OSB exposed and just painting it, but it is fine to be a backer for most materials. You can match the roof soffit if you are using a vinyl/alum, or carry the stucco underneath (however if you are worried about future balcony leaks just some furring with vinyl/alum might alert you to that immediately). From the looks of the style of entry door you have in your other thread, you may want to step up to a stained beadboard here and at the front entry portico as well.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Just my 2 cents; My covered porch has painted plywood, but I'd do it with vinyl so I didn't have to paint it constantly.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.