DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
One measures frequency, tests capacitors, has a place for temperature probe and has a hold function and auto ranging that the other one does not.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Is autorange so you don't need to choose the scale? (2.5V, 10V, 50V, etc)
Is that really such a big deal? It just takes a second to set it to the right scale.

So far, all I have used a MM for basic auto stuff.
...to test connectivity (to test a switch), and voltage (to see if a motor is getting power)
I have also used it to test how much voltage the car battery is getting from alternator.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so it prevents you for blowing up your meter.
It's a tough call to go from $10 to $30.
I might stick with the $10, as I might use this only once a year.
For $10, I get digital and audible connectivity beep.
That's all I really wanted.

·
JOATMON
15,320 Posts
Ok, so it prevents you for blowing up your meter.
It's a tough call to go from $10 to $30.
I might stick with the $10, as I might use this only once a year.
For $10, I get digital and audible connectivity beep.
That's all I really wanted.
Oh boy....then you would not want to see my Sushi bill if the wife and I go out for Sushi....

Just make sure the ohms position is protected from being connected to AC.....on some of the cheap ones, if you leave it in ohms and connect to AC line voltage......your $10 meter is not $0.00

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL, I can afford it, but don't like to buy things I don't need or understand.
For tools, I like to buy the cheap one and then upgrade once it no longer meets my needs.
In this case, is it worth paying TRIPLE? I'm not sure. The $10 is deeply discounted today.
I always double check the setting, so I think I'll be ok. If I were a pro, I'd get a great MM.
But, I might use a MM once a year on my car.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The multimeter is one of man's greatest inventions.

Once you have one, you'll find lots of ways to use it. Go with the $30 one, it only takes one mistake to make you wish you had auto-ranging.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
The way to choose a meter is by how you plan to use the meter. For example if you are only going to use it around the house a solenoid tester is your best bet. Rugged and reliable. If you plan to do any electronics work of course you need a Multimeter.
Auto ranging is just a convenience, not a safety feature. With "auto range" the meter can be used without figuring scale. A step saver and nothing more. It is also a good idea for the beginner as he may not understand what the scale is. Moving a decimal point is easy for any meter.

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,350 Posts
The more $$ meter has auto shut off. It saves your batteries when you forget.

·
Engineer
191 Posts
Auto ranging is just a convenience, not a safety feature. With "auto range" the meter can be used without figuring scale. A step saver and nothing more. It is also a good idea for the beginner as he may not understand what the scale is. Moving a decimal point is easy for any meter.
I usually suggest autorange due to the above bold, but as stated it's not a "must have." To the OP: when using a meter without autorange just start at the higher scale, and move lower.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
The frequency meter is useful (not necessary) for tuning in a generator....but that's all I've ever used it for.:laughing:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
What are you planning on using said meter for? Occasional/hobbyist or job related?
The former. I have only used it 3 times in 2 years.
... to test continuity a window switch in my car.
... to test voltage to a car window motor.
... to test voltage of the car battery.

If it was for a career, I'd get a better one.
For $11, I figured I'd upgrade to digital and with audio.
I will also sell my analog MM for a few bucks to make the upgrade almost free.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Don't sell the analog. They are much more useful troubleshooting ac circuits. If fact a Wiggy would be a good investment if you plan on doing any ac work around the home.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts