DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Whats the best Leaf Blower/Vacuum?

19K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  mikeylikesit580 
#1 ·
I was thinking about getting a Blower/Vacuum & wonder who makes the best one & what makes it better?
How fast is best?

My Son Gave me a gas 200 MPH one & I killed it being it was 2 stroke & I forgot about adding the oil to the fuel. :oops:
The 200 MPH seemed to do ok but I could see more being better.
Now what about when in vacuum mode?
I've got red lava rock all around the edge of my front lawn & always get my grass clipping into the lava rock area.
Would one of these be good at sucking up the the grass clipping without picking up the red lava rocks?
& if it did pick up the lava rocks might it damage the vacuum?

Anyways I'd prefer a cordless electric to be honest anyways...

Can you help me pick out the best one for the money?

#2 ·
I know my next one will be a backpack blower, most likely an echo as I really like my echo chainsaw. I bought a Troy-Bilt 2 cycle and while it blows pretty good and starts fairly easily, the throttle switch is horrible. It is a paddle directly below the handle, designed to be within finger-tip reach. The problem is I have to keep my hand on the paddle, which gets uncomfortable, to keep it at max throttle. If they have redesigned that, which I think they have, I would recommend troy-bilt for a decent low-end model. Husqvarna, Echo, and Stihl always have great customer satisfaction, but you pay more. I never go electric for my outdoor power tools, there is nothing like having a tool in your hand that has internal combustion chambers exploding to generate power. Maintenance really isn't bad if you keep a calendar and stick to it. Unless you forget to mix your fuel on 2 cycles...then, well, you have a large odd shaped paperweight.

#4 ·
as for blower vac combos...just don't. get a good blower. a good echo is the way to go imo. than get cheap on the blower. once you blow all of your debris into one small area, pick up the majority of the material manually then use the vac. the vac I use is a cheap old one that I've had for 10+ years. It lifts up small clippings and the 1/2" rock that I have but when I let go of the throttle the bulk of the rock falls back out of the vac tube so I don't carry the rock around. so once you trim your grass and around the edge there is some blades a cheap electrical unit should do the job. I, however, will never buy another electrical unit. gas is the way to go. sorry bud.

#5 · (Edited)
Echo or Stihl are what I would buy. Go look at what the pros are using. They have to use them day in and day out. Echo, Stihl, Shindawa are what most of them use.

I have had my Stihl backpack blower for about 15 yrs now and it starts and runs every time. It can move some leaves too! I have an Echo string trimmer (I have a Stihl as well) and it has run flawlessly for over 20 yrs. It has even been run over and the shaft is bent, doesn't matter, it still works like the day I bought it.

Edit: The biggest thing is to properly store a 2 stroke motor. I run mine dry whenever I am not using it for a few weeks and always at the end of the season. If you don't, the gas will evaporate from the carb and leave the oil behind in the various passages. The oil will gunk up the carb and cause the motor to run poorly or not at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.