460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the following in mine:

MilwaukeeNon-Contact Voltage Tester

HF - Cen-Tech 7 Function Digital Multimeter

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Get a cheap analog multi-meter with the lowest "ohms per volt" available.

Use the Digital multi-meter (which will have a very high input impedance) only for significant [high impedance] electronic testing.

Digital multi-meters may provide indications of "phantom" voltages. (i. e. Voltages which do exist but at such small currents as to be insignificant.)

·
Property Mgt/Maint
6,525 Posts
I have this clamp meter for checking amp draw, as well as being my goto for all house hold electrical

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
Fluke Scopemeter 199c:

Fluke Scopemeter 123:

Fluke 287:

Klein CL2000 - my usual meter for wiring work:

A bunch of cheap DMMs like this:

Some non-contact voltage testers like these:

And specialized tools like an antenna analyzer, function generators, etc.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!
I'm starting to get more comfortable with small electrical projects and looks like I could probably use an upgrade, to my arsenal. Other than a cheap analog multi-meter, what would you recommend adding to my DIY/Homeowner kit...Perhaps one of those clamp models?

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
Thanks!
I'm starting to get more comfortable with small electrical projects and looks like I could probably use an upgrade, to my arsenal. Other than a cheap analog multi-meter, what would you recommend adding to my DIY/Homeowner kit...Perhaps one of those clamp models?
I really like the Klein clamp meter. It's a good general purpose multimeter, a good clamp-on ammeter for AC, and it also works as a non-contact voltage tester and measures DC current with the clamp too. It's magnetic and durable. Two thumbs up from me, and I've had a lot of test equipment.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Here's what is in my kit:

1. Fluke VoltAlert Non Contact tester
2. Kencove High Voltage Electric Fence Tester
3 Check-Spark for ICE Spark Plug wire Tester
4. Old General Electric Line Voltage Indicator
5. Fluke 117 True RMS Multimeter
6. Fluke 323 True RMS AC Current Clamp Meter
7. Extech DC400 DC Current Clamp Meter
8. Kill A Watt P3
9. Infrared Laser Heat Sensor
10. Pyle PCMM05 Carbon Monoxide Meter

Not shown is a GB Electric plug in circuit tester, a Zircon circuit finder and a Zircon stud finder.

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Too much to post, close to $750,000-$1,000,000 in test equipment

Hi-pots 64KV Medium voltage insulation resistance testers)
Meggers 1000 VDC and 5000 VDC (Insulation resistance test sets)
Infrared cameras
High current test sets (circuit breaker test sets)
Motor overload test sets
Line disturbance analyzers (power quality meters)
ground testers (earth ground resistance testers)
Turns ratio testers (transformer testers)
relay test sets
Ductors/DLRO's (digital low resistance ohm meters for checking connection resistance)
Gauss meters (EMF Meters)
several 100 Amp clamps (measuring current from micro-amps to 10,000 amps from 1/4" to 24")

and that just scratches the surface

If it is electrical we test it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
One of the guys in the HVAC forum recommended this mini clamp meter last year so I bought one to go along with my full size digi meter.

Around $50 at Amazon.

A receptacle tester like Oso mentioned is nice to have and cheap, too.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Amazing sets, thanks! Serious pros, out there! I see some of you have and/or recommend Klein, which answered one of my questions. That said, apparently, HD is having a Save 15% off Select Klein Tools in March! (Enter promo code KLE15TOOL at checkout), which leads to my next question. What, on sale, Klein Electrical Test Meters, would you recommend, for this DIYer/Homeowner, to compliment and/or replace my Milwaukee Non-Contact Voltage Tester & HF 7 Function Digital Multimeter? From replies, so far, I'm thinking Electrical Maintenance and Test Kit Model# CL110KIT $61.24 but I'd appreciate all input.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts