DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

What's a good 3-ton Heat-Pump split system to buy?

I'm in Georgia.. I'm looking for an all electric (split) Heat pump system.

Whats a good brand/model to buy?

So far two of my estimates said to go with the above goodman unit..
Another company said a Trane.

Cost is a factor, but i dont want it to break in a few months/years either.

Thanks

·
Administrator
41,870 Posts
One brand is about the same as the other. its the installation that counts.

Reactions: ehoez

·
Registered
622 Posts
very true.. i just wanted to get everyone's comments on the issue, before i spend a few thousand bucks.. :)

What are you looking for in a system? Are you going to do it yourself?

Trane seems to have nicer quality.. Many of them use the same parts. Get a system with a scroll compressor and compressor sound blanket. If you have small kids that are going to hit it with a ball, Goodman has a flimsier cage.. You might get more bang for your buck with Goodman in terms of efficiency/dollar

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What are you looking for in a system? Are you going to do it yourself?

Trane seems to have nicer quality.. Many of them use the same parts. Get a system with a scroll compressor and compressor sound blanket. If you have small kids that are going to hit it with a ball, Goodman has a flimsier cage.. You might get more bang for your buck with Goodman in terms of efficiency/dollar

1. value
2. efficiency/dollar
3. something that will last 30+ years, like my old unit did.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bang for the buck

GOODMAN IS GREAT IN MY BOOK.I HAVE INSTALLED MANY AND HAVE NO MORE PROBLEMS WITH THEM THAN ANY OTHER BRAND. SAME COMPRESSOR AS ALL OTHERS,EXCEPT FOR TRANE. I'M NOT A BIG FAN OF TRANE.MAINLY THEY HAVE SPECIALIZED THEMSELVES SO MUCH THAT YOU HAVE GOT TO BUY REPLACEMENT PARTS FROM THEM,AND THEY THINK THEY ARE MADE OUT OF GOLD.IT'S CRAZY THE DIFFERENCE IN PRICE.WHAT PART OF THE WORLD ARE YOU IN?
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GOODMAN IS GREAT IN MY BOOK.I HAVE INSTALLED MANY AND HAVE NO MORE PROBLEMS WITH THEM THAN ANY OTHER BRAND. SAME COMPRESSOR AS ALL OTHERS,EXCEPT FOR TRANE. I'M NOT A BIG FAN OF TRANE.MAINLY THEY HAVE SPECIALIZED THEMSELVES SO MUCH THAT YOU HAVE GOT TO BUY REPLACEMENT PARTS FROM THEM,AND THEY THINK THEY ARE MADE OUT OF GOLD.IT'S CRAZY THE DIFFERENCE IN PRICE.WHAT PART OF THE WORLD ARE YOU IN?
:thumbsup:

Atlanta, GA here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts