DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. We have 2400mm x 1200mm acrylics wall panels and I'd like to cut off about 5-10mm as they are starting to warp in the heat. what would be the best way to shave off some millimeters?
Rectangle Wood Flooring Composite material Tints and shades

·
Registered
377 Posts
Is this the same stuff cheap shower walls are made of? I bought a shower kit and used the glass / door and floor pan and tiled the walls, but remember those plastic sheets being great for under-the-sink-cabinet-shelf-liners (for those inevitable leaks or messes in rental properties). I remember it cutting really easily with sheet metal shears or even scissors.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is this the same stuff cheap shower walls are made of? I bought a shower kit and used the glass / door and floor pan and tiled the walls, but remember those plastic sheets being great for under-the-sink-cabinet-shelf-liners (for those inevitable leaks or messes in rental properties). I remember it cutting really easily with sheet metal shears or even scissors.
No this is heavy duty arcrylic type of sheeting 10mm thick. Definitely could cut it with scissors

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You could also use a skilsaw with an abrasive blade and a rip guide.

You'd need a contractor size cabinet table saw to rip a 4ft panel.
Oh i'll investigate this Im not exactly sure what rip guide would be suitable for a 2.4m sheet. My original idea would be to put out 5mm line on the side and use an electric hand held plane until i reached the line, but no one's suggested that

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
The rip guide is a skilsaw attachment. It slips into a slot in the saw so that you have an adjustable fence that you can set for a specific rip width... it is positioned in front of the blade as you cut, making a nice straight cut.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The rip guide is a skilsaw attachment. It slips into a slot in the saw so that you have an adjustable fence that you can set for a specific rip width... it is positioned in front of the blade as you cut, making a nice straight cut.
I understand but I think it can't work for shaving off 5mm of a 1200mm board? The rip saw width would need to be at least 1200mm long? Im thinking something like this picture may work as long as a make a long flat cutting bench

Saw Tradesman Carpenter Wood Circular saw

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
Rectangle Wood Creative arts Art Plywood

I don't think you can cut panels and have the factory edge that makes it look neat. You probably should have used something like above, called H panel trims, to account for plastic expansion and contraction. That too, if you cut your panel exactly, it will show a gap in cooling season. And use glue that allows movement, not nails.
For cutting your sheet, you can use a hand tool called formica scorer.
It MUST have a carbide cutting tip and look sharp/pointy enough to eye. Some cheap tool will not be.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
View attachment 680073

I don't think you can cut panels and have the factory edge that makes it look neat. You probably should have used something like above, called H panel trims, to account for plastic expansion and contraction. That too, if you cut your panel exactly, it will show a gap in cooling season. And use glue that allows movement, not nails.
For cutting your sheet, you can use a hand tool called formica scorer.
It MUST have a carbide cutting tip and look sharp/pointy enough to eye. Some cheap tool will not be.
Yes I agree this channel would have allowed much more room for expansion. The contractor who installed them promised us they would not expand! Yet, I knew they would I did not have final decision on the job go ahead

Thanks for the idea using this hand tool. I'd need to setup a strait clamped guide if I used that. I'll expeiment on a piece of scrape sheeting to see if it would be able to cut 10mm sheeting

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did you mean like this? So the saw blade can be adjusted all the way to 5mm from the edge of the sheet? (Before I assued youd have to put the backing end at the other end of the board as 5mm seemed too close to the edge)
View attachment 680076
Just to sorta answer this I looked up Kregs saw guide and the cut range is from 0.3cm to 60cm wide. So as long as the blade is not more than 2mm, it would work!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts