DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbour installed a AC recently, I found that the outdoor unit is mounted on the brick wall but not the concrete base. Somebody says this is not good. Anyone can tell me why? Thanks!

·
Registered
452 Posts
And your here asking what is the problem with that???? Tell me one thing that is right with it and we'll go from there.... Better yet. Enlighten me as to how one attaches a condenser to a brick wall. :)

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
LOL :whistling2::whistling2::whistling2::whistling2:

·
Administrator
40,882 Posts

·
I'm Your Huckleberry
5,884 Posts
Yes, that's what I meant. Very rare, but it did happen. So I asked my question.

Is there a possiblility of you taking a picture and posting it here? If I'm thinking what this may be then it's not all that uncommon to see them up in the air on a side of all sorts of buildings, residential or commercial, sitting on a pre-fab metal ledge. Prevents theft is the biggest deal.

Much harder to service but we just charge more. :)

·
Administrator
40,882 Posts
Brick is not structural. Mounting bolts would need to go all the way through the brick and anchor into backing plates in the wall.
May be installed with thru bolts, that the OP doesn't know about.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brick is not structural. Mounting bolts would need to go all the way through the brick and anchor into backing plates in the wall.
Then what will happen? Will the it damage the wall eventually with the vibration? Or anything else? At least I heard big noise while it's running.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
This support?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,407 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
If a structure was designed to hold a condenser this wouldn't be an issue. However, you stated that there was a concrete pad it used to sit on. If installed properly there would have to be access on the other side of the wall. Meaning, sheetrock would have to be removed and blocking installed. If they just attached a platform to the brick using a wedge anchor, epoxy, tapcons, or how ever they did it, I can't imagine it holding for long. Yes, those things vibrate, and yes eventually it will jiggle the bricks enough to break the grout. What kind of "brick" is it? Sneak over there and take a photo, cuz I think we ALL would love to see it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts