DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a novice who's trying to replace the shutoff valve underneath my kitchen sink. My water flow is and has been really slow for a long time. What type of shut off valve do I need to get? Straight Valve? 1/2" to 1/2" or 1/2" to 3/8"? And is it best to replace the water supply lines to the faucet from the water supply pipe as well? Please advise. Thank you! Please see picture attached.


· Super Moderator
8,679 Posts
Cant tell if thats soldered or screwed on. Also looks like a saddle clamp right underneath.

Gate valves are notorious for that. If scerwed in, easiest way is to turn water off, unscrew old gate valve replace and with ball valve.

Bring old gate valve and supply line with you to box store and match it up. Use some tape and dope on the threads.

Looks like standard 1/2 inch. Bring old parts with you to be sure. Yes, its a good idea to replace the supply lines as well. Just a suggestion.

Please wait for the plumbers to respond. Thanks.

17,849 Posts
That looks like a screw on compression fitting.

You should be able to get a 1/4 under sink ball valve that will screw right on.

As jmon said, turn off water, remove valve and take it to HD or Lowe's.

One of the first things I did in my house was remove the old gate valve out front.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.