DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm renting, and I need to upgrade my AC unit. I go to remove the unit, and I see this type of outlet. I've never seen anything like this before... does anyone know what this is?? Thanks for the help!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,447 Posts
That is a 6-15R, meaning 15 amp, 240 volt.
It should be attached to a 2 pole 15 amp breaker.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see, thank you. From what I can gather, this is a common receptacle for wall A/C units? Should I expect to find a new unit at a local appliance store that will fit this receptacle? What I'm seeing online is that most units just have standard parallel plugs...

·
A "Handy Husband"
13,371 Posts
If the units you are looking at have parallel blades they are 120 volt units not 240 volt. Usually 120 volt units are in the smaller BTU sizes and the 240 volt units are higher capacity.

What is the BTU of the existing? You probably do not want to go smaller. If you go with a 120 volt unit that receptacle will have to be replacedand the circuit rewired.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The current unit may or may not be the first air conditioner ever made; it's very old. So I'm not actually sure what the BTUs are, but I'm going to guess my landlord would want to go with a bigger unit and not want to worry about rewiring the receptacle. Thanks for all your help!

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
The typical size of the A/C unit is useally larger than 12,000 BTU size useally in 12 to 15,000 BTU size for that receptale the larger one will take diffrent receptale complety and it will be much larger on size wise.

Merci,
Marc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts