DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

What type of insulation do you recommend here? I've attached a picture but for some reason the builder never filled in this area. It is a small area and will seal once filled with brick to seal in area.

Thanks!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Revision from original question, not looking for specific type of insulation but looking for recommendations on how to fill area, might not be insulation

·
Registered
730 Posts
Is that EIFS? It would require a gap to the concrete. If it was an inch or less, it could be filled with a backer rod/joint sealant, though not sure that is a good idea as it may trap moisture. Looks like they lined up the bottom of the EIFS with the bottom of the brick. This might be one you will just have to get used to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it is a stucco that is part of the exterior. My problem with leaving it open is we now have a mouse/chipmunk issue so I need to seal it up. Are you saying that if I seal it up moisture will have no way of escaping?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Yes it is a stucco that is part of the exterior. My problem with leaving it open is we now have a mouse/chipmunk issue so I need to seal it up. Are you saying that if I seal it up moisture will have no way of escaping?
Stucco is not the same as EIFS. With EIFS, typically where it meets another material the gap is sealed with sealant. Probably not appropriate for that gap anyway because it's too big. You could maybe tuck point some very stiff mortar mix in there, though I would leave it well back from the outside face of the stucco.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts