DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have some spalling on my basement walls. It's not a huge deal as far as problems go (it's ancient... like it happened decades ago so I believe it's more cosmetic than structural) but I want to sell so would like to get it skim coated. My problem is I have no idea who does this type of work. I checked concrete contractors in the yellow pages and they mention doing foundations, but it seems more like pouring them or major work vs repairs such as this. Someone told me it might be a drywall contractor. Any ideas of where I can start looking for the type of person who does this type of work?

·
Registered
59 Posts
call a mason contractor! and tell them you want the walls parged. you may be able to save some money if you clean all the loose stuff off your self.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
If the spalling is minor, you might just be able to scrape off the loose stuff, clean the wall and apply a Thoroseal cementious paint. It will fill in the minor recesses.
A painting contractor would handle that.
Ron

·
Remodeling Contractor
3,590 Posts
Depends on the extent and depth of this problem. If it is minor than follow Ron6519.. If it is deeper and you are not possible that the damage is more serve call the mason contractor. If you have a flat steel trowel and a stiff mason brush do the work yourself.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the ideas. I wouldn't have thought of calling a mason or painter. I was going to do it myself but I just have too many things to do before selling so thought this job might be a good one to hand off to someone else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts