DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Hvac Pro
23,327 Posts
49,000 BTU = 4 ton 1996 R22 unit. I would replace both the indoor coil and condensor as the SEER rating on that unit is 10 or less. Condensors nowadays are 13 SEER or higher and won't work with your old coil properly.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
49,000 BTU = 4 ton 1996 R22 unit. I would replace both the indoor coil and condensor as the SEER rating on that unit is 10 or less. Condensors nowadays are 13 SEER or higher and won't work with your old coil properly.
Ok thanks for the answer.
I am going to be moving next year, so probably will just replace the evap coil unless there is something else I should be aware of.

·
Hvac Pro
23,327 Posts
The new evap coil will be a 13 SEER and may not work well with your older 10 SEER or lower condensor. Won't get the proper freon pressures and coil temp and won't dehumidify properly. Hang in here some of the other Pro's may have a workaround or other ideas. My company would not take on that job. NO way we could get it to work properly or guarantee any performance from it.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
How fast does it leak out? An option is just fill it up to get through this summer then give the new owners the cost of the coil to apply towards a new system of their choice.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How fast does it leak out? An option is just fill it up to get through this summer then give the new owners the cost of the coil to apply towards a new system of their choice.
It was filled 1 month ago and level on the gauge is already down to 60.
Also I meant to say dimensions of current coil is 33.5 x 25 x 12.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was filled 1 month ago and level on the gauge is already down to 60.
Also I meant to say dimensions of current coil is 33.5 x 25 x 12.
Can anyone point me to a link that has a compatible evap coil for my system?

Thanks

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Can anyone point me to a link that has a compatible evap coil for my system?

Thanks
Possibly not. I would just give open disclosure when you go to sell, and take the risk that the house will not sell, due to non-working hvac equipment, or take the bite, and update the air handler/furnace & outside unit, and have a better sell on the house, because it has updated hvac equipment, compared to the other houses that may already be on the market that are not selling, or may be on the market at that time you go to sell.

The more you can update the home (hvac, water heater if over 10 years, Windows/doors, Kitchen, Bath, flooring, painting, roof, garage door), you have a better chance of selling the house quicker, than those that do nothing to it.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Ask your local dealer. When you get the correct replacement, you can search online as well.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Possibly not. I would just give open disclosure when you go to sell, and take the risk that the house will not sell, due to non-working hvac equipment, or take the bite, and update the air handler/furnace & outside unit, and have a better sell on the house, because it has updated hvac equipment, compared to the other houses that may already be on the market that are not selling, or may be on the market at that time you go to sell.

The more you can update the home (hvac, water heater if over 10 years, Windows/doors, Kitchen, Bath, flooring, painting, roof, garage door), you have a better chance of selling the house quicker, than those that do nothing to it.
Not sure I quite understand. I have had 2 separate hvac companies quote me for just the evap coil replacement. They said it is best to replace everything together, but none of them have mentioned any bit of it not working.
If I do replace the condensor, can I just replace the outside unit and evap coil or does the furnace need to be replaced also?
I hate to get a whole new system as I will not receive a full return on investment. If I can get the system operational, I believe that isn't great but satisfactory to the average home buyer.

Thanks for the help!

·
30 year tech
427 Posts
As said, there is no compatable coil for your system. I think you will have a hard time finding a coil with those dimensions. If you do have a txv installed as it is the best option to get it working close to right.

·
I'm Your Huckleberry
5,884 Posts
Seems odd that I cannot replace what is broken and I need to replace everything. If I had the money I would.

Oh, we understand but you must realize that what you have, an old 10 SEER Goodman Condensing unit, is Flinstones compared to today's Space Odessy 2011. We have 26 SEER units vailable and motors that spin in incriments of 100 so that means one hundred variable and potential speeds, all of which determine the overall SEER rating (energy efficiency) of your system as a whole.

What can happen now with these new coils which are much, much bigger is that your system can lower in efficiency than 10, it happens all of the time. The refrigerant levels don't properly match from old condenser to new evaporator and thus the system suffers or rather it won't be nominal-as best it could be as per design, design being with new and matching components, ie all new condenser, furnace, evaporator coil, and so the sytem is not as efficient as it should be.

I live in Houston, Texas where the Goodman manufacuring plant is and we or I I should say, replace evaporator coils all day every day just like you situation you are having so yes, you can very easily change out that coil only.

I do alot of home insurance work these days and heck if they are going to pay for an entirely new system so regarldess of potential difference in rated efficiency I install coils on 10 Seer systems, quite a lot actually.

Other than that I always recommend everything new like these other guys, with my other hvac contracting firm that does not deal with home insurance.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Seems odd that I cannot replace what is broken and I need to replace everything. If I had the money I would.
You can, but you need to ask your local supply to find the replacement. Also ask for TXV

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not sure I quite understand. I have had 2 separate hvac companies quote me for just the evap coil replacement. They said it is best to replace everything together, but none of them have mentioned any bit of it not working.
If I do replace the condensor, can I just replace the outside unit and evap coil or does the furnace need to be replaced also?
I hate to get a whole new system as I will not receive a full return on investment. If I can get the system operational, I believe that isn't great but satisfactory to the average home buyer.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts

Thanks for the help!
The BEST option is replace everything. But if your condenser unit is in good shape e not so old you can replace only evap. We're going to tell what is the best option. We'll make money and client will have a new system.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The BEST option is replace everything. But if your condenser unit is in good shape e not so old you can replace only evap. We're going to tell what is the best option. We'll make money and client will have a new system.
I understand and thanks for your comments.
Are the previous statements by the other guys true about having a broken ac or just fish hook to buy a complete system?
I realize buying everything together would be best, but is it necessary to have a working system?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts