DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I’ve just finished stripping and sanding all my interior doors and was hoping to get some advice on what to use to patch things with before painting.

While my photos don’t really show much, these are basically 95-year-old doors with lots of dings, dents, holes, you name it. I'm not worried about the holes, my question is...what should I use to fill any shallow depressions? I love Durham’s water putty, but their site says it won’t adhere well to shallow dents (especially on doors that are getting handled a lot). I also like Synkoloid's, would that be a better choice? Or any other recs??

Also, I believe it’s better to patch after priming as things will stick better to primer than bare wood, does this sound correct?

Pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/datepalm3/Doors?authkey=Gv1sRgCLu0seGJgv30Qg&feat=directlink

Thanks for your help

·
Rubbin walls since'79
2,518 Posts
Throw your Durhams as far as you can. I have seen many things ruined with that totally unsandable product.
Synks is ok- I prefer either Bordons wood filler ( the water reduced one) or crack shot- both easily sanded and feathered off.

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
If they are to be painted, I have been known to use hot mud and a nice skim coat blade. Wet sand and then prime with an enamel underlay.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I can't deny Durham's can be difficult to sand at times (I patched a spot on some crown molding, and I'll be damned if I can get it sanded down!), but I guess I also view this as a positive as it's very tough/durable...so it has its uses.

Either way, I just wanted to find something that will stay adhered to the door and not end up falling off given that doors are being opened and shut all the time and taking some abuse. I hadn't really considered using mud, but are you finding that to last well? Again, just trying to make sure whatever I go with here provides a long-term fix.

·
paper hanger and painter
8,301 Posts
Well, I can't deny Durham's can be difficult to sand at times (I patched a spot on some crown molding, and I'll be damned if I can get it sanded down!), but I guess I also view this as a positive as it's very tough/durable...so it has its uses.

Either way, I just wanted to find something that will stay adhered to the door and not end up falling off given that doors are being opened and shut all the time and taking some abuse. I hadn't really considered using mud, but are you finding that to last well? Again, just trying to make sure whatever I go with here provides a long-term fix.

Brush already gave you the answer and yes prime first and after, now, mud will work in a pinch, but a preferred method, no.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts