DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See pics below. I have a long rectangular flower pot which sits on the ground, surrounded by a slate-topped retaining wall on the left and a slate walkway on the right. There are a few inches of mulch immediately around the pot. The pot contains new potting mix. It isn't draining properly out of the bottom holes, though. Right now there's just mud underneath, which clogs the holes. What's an easy solution to promote better drainage under the pot? I was thinking a layer of sand (which I have on hand), or perhaps very small pebbles of some type, but I wanted to check here first before using the wrong thing. How thick a layer should I use, and of what? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
37,409 Posts
I would clean out that area and use some decorative stone not sand.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
Could some tell me what is wrong that the last few words of text and a portion of the pic on this post is covered by a post by skyroofers titled "My best ever project" 04-11-2013 and a post by jfrance "Basement stairs" 05-05-13. Those two items don't follow the replies and obscure them but only the original post. thanks

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
that started happening when changes were made on this site.

I found that if I 'minimize' or shrink the page, then the column on the right doesn't overlap. Of course you have to squint to read the post.

·
Banned
4,226 Posts
I agree with Joe, some river rock would look better there.

In the future when planting in pots, its best to allow for drainage inside the pot. Take some broken pieces of an old clay pot or stones and place them over the drainage holes before adding soil. For now, just poke a stick up the bottom holes to get that water moving before your flowers rot.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I want to be clear: I understand that you're saying to use decorative stone/river rock around the pot, but can I also put it under the pot in order to enhance drainage? Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts