DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

What to put on the back of kitchen cabinets????? HELP!

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Helioscribe 
#1 ·
I just put in new kitchen cabinets and I have base cabinets that come out like a peninsula so they are not up against anything, now what do I put on the back of them? I have looked all over the internet and can not find any kind of answer I bought the side pieces to put on the back but it's impossible to get the seamless or so they don't bow out I'm just at a total loss.

#2 ·
What are the cabinets made off and how are they finished? You can get furniture quality plywood in maple and birch. Cut and finish to match. You won't find the wood at a big box store , you will need to find a lumber yard that caters to cabinet and furniture makers.

#10 ·
It's common to build a pony wall behind the cabinets and finish that. Our 10' island has the plumbing in that wall. The outward facing side under the counter we could finish with either the cabinet wood or drywall. I chose drywall because I really didn't want to have the kids kicking $2k worth of mahogany panels. Yeesh, do they charge a pretty penny for custom cabinets...

But you'd need to factor the depth of the wall in the calculations for the counter above. The additional benefit is the wall also helps carry the load of whatever counter material you're using.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.