DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

What to do with the wiring

351 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  jeffnc
We've moved into a house with an embedded ironing board system (Iron Away) and would like to remove it. It's hardwired, can we just put an outlet in its place when the box is gone? (We're not sure what it looks like behind the box). Thanks!
Rectangle Fixture Handle Wood Gas
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
A picture of how it comes out of the wall and the wiring itself might help.

Presuming there is already an electrical box and cover plate of some kind there, you could simply wire in a single or duplex receptacle and use it as an extra outlet. It might be wise to check with local code enforcement to be sure any such change is within code. Some are very specific as to location of outlets.

You could also abandon the outlet by use of wire nuts of the appropriate size to "cap" the bare wire ends, then, for additional safety, wrapping them to each wire with proper electrical tape and then taping them all together. Cover with a "blanking plate.

My local inspector was fine with this in a similar situation, where I abandoned an attic fan and it's switch. Of course in that case, I also made sure the wires to the abandoned fan were not left "hot" by disconnecting them. In your case, if the ironing board is a "drop" and power needs to continue on, you need to be sure not to "break the circuit" to the downstream circuit.

Without knowing more about what is in place, I cannot offer more detailed advice.

If you have no electrical experience at all, you may want to consult a professional electrician for advice or to do the work.

Advice offered is free and without warranty expressed or implied.

· Registered
791 Posts
It's a dedicated 120V circuit. If it has a full size grounding wire, I would try to utilize it.
If not pull the end out of the wire out of the electric panel then drywall over it.

· Registered
9,162 Posts
Check codes for GFCI. I can't see the rest of your washroom, but that's the type of outlet that might be required there.

By the way that is most likely a 20A line, because it looks like yellow Romex. That is fine for the original intent (you can use a 20A line for a fixture that requires a 15A line, as long at the wiring and breaker match.) That does not mean you need a 20A outlet though. A 15A GFCI, if GFCI is required, is fine. Or a standard 15A outlet. A real 20A outlet looks different and you won't be needing it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts