DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys. I live in a row home. I removed a radiator from under my dining room window so that the contractor can cut the windows into a door for a new deck that was built. A friend of mine came out and basically drained the water, then removed the radiator. I not have 2 little pipes coming out of the dining room floor that I do not know what to do with.

Can I just go down to the basement where they run to, cut and cap, or do I have to connect the 2 pipes back together somehow?

·
Just call me Andrew
2,279 Posts
It depends how your system is set up. Can you see if that radiator was fed with a tee off the main line or with elbows? (does the main line go throught he radiator, or does it branch off?)

If tees, can you see if they say "monoflo" or anything else on them?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is difficult to tell weather it is coming off of a tee or not. I live in an older row home with a finished basement ceiling that you can not see over. I am assuming the safest thing would be to just connect them? If so, what do I need to do to cut them and connect? The pipes run very tight to the ceiling so I don't think a pipe cutter would work. After I cut them, what exactly do I have to buy or do to connect?

Thanks

·
A "Handy Husband"
13,385 Posts
How are you replacing the heat in that room with the loss of the radiator?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anybody?

I was thinking of cutting the pipe in the basement with a hacksaw or somehting and trying to get some kind of compression fitting to cap the ends. I still don't know if it will cut the flow to the other pipes though.

I can't finish my floor with these 2 pipes sticking out of tghe floor.

·
Just call me Andrew
2,279 Posts
If his old radiator was fed with a monoflo tee, hs main line will be left with restricted flow if he caps the pipe that used to feed the radiator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can I cut underneath the floor in the basement with a hacksaw or reciprocating saw and use some type of compression fittings?

·
Registered
74 Posts
You should be more specific or you may get some incorrect advice. When I here "old" and "radiator" I think of the old cast iron steam radiator. If this is the case, then you should not tie them together as the heating system will not work properly. If it was fin radiation with a copper tube and aluminum fins, then it is possible that you could cap them off. A question that you should also answer is how much of this radiation did you remove? Your heating system was designed with a certain heat loss, assuming you are going from an old single pane window to an insulated door, you may be alright, a glass door with less r value, maybe not. You have to remember that you still have a house to heat, removing heat for convenience may cause you grief in the future. I would suggest you find an alternate place nearby to re-install this "radiator".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts