DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just bought a house and there are ~6 circular phone jacks. They are not going to be used. If I find a wall plate to cover it what is the correct thing to do with the wiring behind them?

Thanks! See below for example

https://www.kyleswitchplates.com/jumbo-blank-cover-for-round-phone-box-2-375-diagonal-holes/

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Nothing and that is the most absurd price I have ever seen for 49 cent blank cover.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Nothing and that is the most absurd price I have ever seen for 49 cent blank cover.
But, they are white enameled metal. And they come with extra long metal screws. AND they are JUMBO sized!!!

I mean, of COURSE they are expensive.

After all, they are custom made.

:vs_laugh::wink2::biggrin2:

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Well, that's mail order electrical for you. Electrical gear, generally, is
a) very low cost
b) quite heavy for the cost (shipping is most of the bill)
c) available locally everywhere (so few customers will be interested)

It's a worst-case scenario for mail order. Small customer base and prohibitive shipping expense. (And realistically if you want to compete with Amazon Prime you have to undercharge for shipping and built the cost of shipping into the item).

I noticed you can't easily buy J random electrical and conduit parts on Amazon, and I thought of becoming a Marketplace seller and filling that void. Doesn't work. Due to the weight you get shredded on the warehousing fees you need to pay to be in Prime, and if you're not in Prime, don't bother. So that forces you to charge outlandish retail prices. Then people get mad that you're 6x Home Depot's price.

·
Registered
10,718 Posts
If you have no use for any phone jacks, I’d cut the wires short at the demarc. Then pull the jacks, push the wire back in the walls, and just patch the walls.

If phone or data service is ever needed in the future, just run new wire to where you need it and install modular jacks.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I just taped the end of all the phone lines in the walls and patched the jack holes up. Granted the phone lines in our walls are no longer useable (everything up here went digital on fiber) so there's no voltage going through them which means they can't start a fire in there.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Buy an 80 cent blank and drill your own holes.
Good idea, but...

Go to Home Depot or Lowe's and check out the different materials for blank face plates. Some are brittle and will crack when you try to drill them. There are others which are made of a more flexible material that's a lot more forgiving. I think it's the nylon ones you're looking for.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.