DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have roughly 60 or so 14" to 16" pieces of 2x4's. They were left over from a job I am doing in my basement. Can I use these pcs as top and bottom plates for walls? I was thinking that I could line them up, drill them into the floor/ceiling and then cut studs to size. I then thought about the integrity of a wall created that way and did not think that it would be stable.

If I cant use them for what I mentioned above then should I just throw them out? I would hate to waste so much wood.

·
General Contractor
534 Posts
You can use them for fire blocking, general blocking, cripples, firewood (if untreated), or for wood working projects.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can use them for fire blocking, general blocking, cripples, firewood (if untreated), or for wood working projects.

Thats right! I completely forget about that. I was going to cut sheet rock pieces for the fire stops, like the building inspector told me I could do, but I can use the 2x4 pieces instead.

You just solved my dilema.

Thanks.

·
Banned
17,248 Posts
I save scrap wood for fireblocking
Smaller pieces are burned in the fireplace
I don't have a ton of scrap
Since I'm finishing up my project I'll be burning off a lot this winter

Don't burn PT - very bad

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Two of my often goto items:

1) scrap wood pile of project left-overs
2) screw and bolt bucket of project left-overs

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
I'd use the wood scraps to make fertility gods.
Ron

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fire blocking is enough for now. I'll take some of the suggestions and use them during another project. lol

·
Registered
426 Posts
There are some good places to put some shorts like that. In the corners at the bottom for the base trim to attach to-if you don't put in a little block the top nail does not have a good place to sink, unless you go for an extreme angle. Same with crown-it is good to have some backing for the nails. Also, backing for things like paper towel holders, toilet paper holders, places for handrails to attach.

And fire blocking : )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts