DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're replacing all the siding on a new house. When the house was built, the builders put foil sheathing on the outside of the framework, and then 1x2 strips outside the foil sheathing and fastened those 1x2s with long staples to the framework of the house. So, we ripped off the siding and sheathed the entire house. Right now, the house is completely sheathed with new plywood and wrapped with Tyvek. I left 6 inches of Tyvek hanging down from the house over the slab foundation. Reason being is because I'm not sure what to do with the bottom of the house where the framework stops and the foundation begins.

When the builders put on the original vinyl siding, the put the vinyl starter strip on the bottom of the 1x2s but left the underneath exposed. I'm not sure I want to do that, especially since now more wood is exposed underneath - combo of 1x2s and 7/16 plywood. I think it's just ripe for termites and insects and moisture to get in. Since we're also redoing all the windows and doors at the same time, we have plenty of 6" rolls of Grace Vycor flashing tape around. Was thinking of cutting lengths of the 6" down to 3" and using that to cover underneath the walls were the sheathing and 1x2s are exposed. The Tyvek would then overlap the flashing tape.

Does that make sense? Any other ideas? What do people normally do for that part of the bottom of the house that is exposed to the elements. Haven't been able to find much info on that.

·
retired framer
41,606 Posts
We're replacing all the siding on a new house. When the house was built, the builders put foil sheathing on the outside of the framework, and then 1x2 strips outside the foil sheathing and fastened those 1x2s with long staples to the framework of the house. So, we ripped off the siding and sheathed the entire house. Right now, the house is completely sheathed with new plywood and wrapped with Tyvek. I left 6 inches of Tyvek hanging down from the house over the slab foundation. Reason being is because I'm not sure what to do with the bottom of the house where the framework stops and the foundation begins.

When the builders put on the original vinyl siding, the put the vinyl starter strip on the bottom of the 1x2s but left the underneath exposed. I'm not sure I want to do that, especially since now more wood is exposed underneath - combo of 1x2s and 7/16 plywood. I think it's just ripe for termites and insects and moisture to get in. Since we're also redoing all the windows and doors at the same time, we have plenty of 6" rolls of Grace Vycor flashing tape around. Was thinking of cutting lengths of the 6" down to 3" and using that to cover underneath the walls were the sheathing and 1x2s are exposed. The Tyvek would then overlap the flashing tape.

Does that make sense? Any other ideas? What do people normally do for that part of the bottom of the house that is exposed to the elements. Haven't been able to find much info on that.
Yes that is done, see how well that stuff sticks to concrete
Bluuekin primer should work for that. it comes in a can, paint on too.
You will need it for your windows and doors too make the pans.
https://ca.henry.com/air-barriers-s...rrier-accessories/blueskin-spray-prep-aerosol

·
Property Mgt/Maint
6,647 Posts
Not sure if your area will be exposed or completely covered by the siding. If exposed, I have seen the rubber flashing lift and peel. In that case, I would prefer a Alum flashing, or a brush on product.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts