DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey me again,
I need to replace some siding where this dryer vent is and have decided to just move the dryer vent over about a foot to make it easier to clean. Which is a relatively easy job however I am concerned about wiring being in there and how do find out? This is a 1994 Bonnville Manufacturered Home.
Thank you.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Maybe use a circular saw set to the same depth as the siding thickness, and cut a small opening in the panel you’re going to be replacing (if you don’t know how thick it is, start with a very shallow setting). Reach in with your hand or a stick or look with a flashlight and see if anything is in the way? I would guess you’re replacing two panels since the seam goes right through the center of the vent, so you should have enough space for a good size hole.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe use a circular saw set to the same depth as the siding thickness, and cut a small opening in the panel you’re going to be replacing (if you don’t know how thick it is, start with a very shallow setting). Reach in with your hand or a stick or look with a flashlight and see if anything is in the way? I would guess you’re replacing two panels since the seam goes right through the center of the vent, so you should have enough space for a good size hole.
Very good. Thank you

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Invest in a oscillating saw. You can get them relatively cheap and they are pretty nimble when cutting.
Circular saws and jig saws need room to maneuver, and a reciprocating "Sawzall" can easily cut too deep when you are concerned about wiring.
An oscillating saw only needs the with of the blade to make a hole. Many of them have adjustable depth stops as well.
You will use it more than you think.

·
Premium Member
7,695 Posts
Of course, the question I have……is everything going to line up? By that I mean do you have a straight shot to the back of the dryer or will you need a flex tube to make the connection to the dryer? Something to consider before you get too crazy making new holes.

·
Registered
343 Posts
If your dryer is natural gas, I believe there will be regulations and codes as to where you can put that vent. If you put it too close to a window, you could fill your home with exhaust gasses.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Of course, the question I have……is everything going to line up? By that I mean do you have a straight shot to the back of the dryer or will you need a flex tube to make the connection to the dryer? Something to consider before you get too crazy making new holes.
Yea the flex vent has plenty of room to move. Good point. Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Always start on the inside where mistakes are much easier to fix.
Good idea!
Invest in a oscillating saw. You can get them relatively cheap and they are pretty nimble when cutting.
Circular saws and jig saws need room to maneuver, and a reciprocating "Sawzall" can easily cut too deep when you are concerned about wiring.
An oscillating saw only needs the with of the blade to make a hole. Many of them have adjustable depth stops as well.
You will use it more than you think.
I will check into that, I don’t have one of those and I did consider a sawsall but knew it would be difficult to control. Thank you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts