DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a foreclosure and found this in the basement. No idea what it is. The guy at home depot didn't either, but he did not seem to know much. Any idea what it is? The hose connectors are odd shaped and the one on the right drips- even with the water main off, so it will be much worse when the water is turned on. I was going to get a male plug for each of the pictured connectors that are facing each other, but it is an oddball size- about and inch and a quarter. I am planning on cutting the section with the connectors out and replacing it with a straight pipe, but I would like to know what the heck it is first

[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

If you are guessing when you reply, please be clear if you are not sure. Speculation is fine, as long as I know. Theories so far have been water softener and water purifier.

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
=new456;648980]. No idea what it is. The guy at home depot didn't either, but he did not seem to know much.
was this a surprise to you?

Any idea what it is? The hose connectors are odd shaped and the one on the right drips- even with the water main off, so it will be much worse when the water is turned on.
Oh, don't turn anything on. You will enjoy a very fast cold shower about your nether regions if you actually have any water from the street.

I was going to get a male plug for each of the pictured connectors that are facing each other, but it is an oddball size- about and inch and a quarter.
yes because it's special

I am planning on cutting the section with the connectors out and replacing it with a straight pipe, but I would like to know what the heck it is first
probably not a good idea especially since you will have to put it back in when the city turns on your water.

If you are guessing when you reply, please be clear if you are not sure. Speculation is fine, as long as I know. Theories so far have been water softener and water purifier.
well, those that are guessing are wrong. As DannyT stated, it is the plumbing required to mount a water meter.

·
Household Handyman
2,480 Posts
Sorry, but I'm not buying the water meter theory. Both of these pipes are coming off of one common vertical pipe. There is no way for one of these to be a "supply" and one a "return", or an "enter" and "exit". Another theory: IF this happens to be a cold water (supply water) line, and the fact that this is on the basement- - maybe this is the water supply lines for a clothes washing machine that someone did not want to be using hot water. Is there a vertical drain pipe close by, say a 1 1/2" or maybe a 2" pipe the washer could drain into? I also stand to be corrected, but do want to know the correct answer.

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
believe it or not there is an angled diverter where the pipes come together positioned so one of those pipes is connected to the supply side pipe and the other one connected to the house side pipe.

here is the best pic I could find in a hurry

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, but I'm not buying the water meter theory. Both of these pipes are coming off of one common vertical pipe. There is no way for one of these to be a "supply" and one a "return", or an "enter" and "exit". Another theory: IF this happens to be a cold water (supply water) line, and the fact that this is on the basement- - maybe this is the water supply lines for a clothes washing machine that someone did not want to be using hot water. Is there a vertical drain pipe close by, say a 1 1/2" or maybe a 2" pipe the washer could drain into? I also stand to be corrected, but do want to know the correct answer.
No. It is for the meter. I found parts to a water meter near it. I just figured the meter would be on the outside, but it makes sense that the wire is for remote read. Makes even more sense that it's an oddball size. They don't want to make it too easy to bypass. I just went to HD looking for plugs because the small hardware with the old guy was closed and the guy at HD suggested I cut out the faucet sections and bypass it, but he seemed clueless about plumbing. Decided to figure out what it is first. I'm not one to start breaking things if I don't know what they're for. Thanks everyone for your help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh- and there is a shut off that supplies it with a lock-out tag. The kind they put on to know if its been tampered with, but it doesn't say anything. This is clearly a meter. It just didn't make sense that they would come into my basement to read it. Didn't think about a remote read.

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
. I just went to HD looking for plugs because the small hardware with the old guy was closed and the guy at HD suggested I cut out the faucet sections and bypass it, but he seemed clueless about plumbing. .
it wouldn't help to put plugs in it anyway since those two pipes allow water to flow through the meter. Putting a plug in the supply side would be no different than closing the main valve.

Not to mention bypassing it and turning on the water it outright illegal.

·
Household Handyman
2,480 Posts
I stand corrected and educated, somewhat. I'll have to Google these to understand how they work. And NO, I've never seen one in my area. Thanks for the info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts