DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Building a new house and went to purchase the blue plastic outlet boxes but they come in 18, 20 and other sizes. What size do most electricians use for new construction for your basic wall outlets?

·
E2 Electrician
5,655 Posts
Building a new house and went to purchase the blue plastic outlet boxes but they come in 18, 20 and other sizes. What size do most electricians use for new construction for your basic wall outlets?
I buy the larger size, I dont have the room to stock every box....It just makes the rough in and trim out more enjoyable with the extra room.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I prefer the gray boxes that have the metal tab in the screw hole and I like the cable clamp better on the gray ones vs the blue ones. For most locations you can get by with the 18cu in for a 1 in, and 1-2 cable out with a standard outlet. If you are installing a GFCI go with the biggest one you can find (which I believe is 22.5 cu in).

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
My first thought is...this guy is wiring his brand new house and his first question is what box should I buy? This is going to be a LONG project.

·
Idiot Emeritus
1,910 Posts
My first thought is...this guy is wiring his brand new house and his first question is what box should I buy? This is going to be a LONG project.
That's ok, as long as he keeps asking questions here, we'll help him get it right. He's already gotten some great advice that a first-timer wouldn't have thought of.

Rob

·
retired elect/hvac/plumb
2,921 Posts
Just say no to the blue boxes,for the single gangs I use the allied 1098 boxes they were for plugs or switches.:)

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
I will get the deepest box as possible typically 22 Cubic inches and that is the only item I useally stock most of my time beside the 18'er I don't use them often the cost differnce is not really huge but you can not beat the convenice of more room in there.

Merci,
Marc

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Just exactly what is wrong with the blue Carlons?
I don't know his reasoning, but I don't like the plastic hole for the device screw, the gray ones typically have the metal tab in the hole that helps to give a better grip on the screw. And of course the cable clamp I think is better in the gray boxes. But in the end I think its just everyone has their own opinion on what they like to use.

·
retired elect/hvac/plumb
2,921 Posts
Just exactly what is wrong with the blue Carlons?
The blue boxes just aren't as stout as the fiberglass ones,I suppose if you want to hunt around for the heavier versions of the blue boxes they aren't as bad.
The plain old cheap blue boxes that they've been selling at box stores since beginning of time just suck,hell they'll twist just by nailing them on most of the time.
For the prices I charge for residential electrical work Im not worried about saving .25 on a box,just my way of doing things anyway.:laughing:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts