DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

We hired a contracting company so we would have a Project Manager manage our kitchen remodel.

My question is what should we, the homeowner, expect when we hire a Project Manager? What does a good Project Manager do? How often should we expect to see him or her?

My recollection is our Project Manager shows up at our place only when an issue arises Is this typical?

We did finally ask, after well into our project, how many projects our PM handles at a time. Right now he is juggling 16 projects. During their busy season he handles as many as 30 projects at a time.

Comments, please?

Thank you.

DIY HomeOwner - But Not For This Remodel!

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Stating the obvious first, his/her duties and responsibilities should have been laid out in the contract before they were hired! That said, the project manager should NOT just be involved then the shtf but should be involved throughout. For example, If i am wanting a specialty counter top that requires an eight week lead time, the project manager should insure that my entire kitchen is not trashed and then seeking waiting for that countertop for a month. Ron

·
Premium Member
7,781 Posts
You paid good money to have a Project Manager so I think he should check in every day. Maybe not actually on site, but should be calling and touching base each and every day of the project. I would think he would want to be on site at least several times a week to be sure things are going smoothly. I mean, that is his job after all, otherwise you could do the job of project mgr and save some $$$.

·
journeyman carpenter
3,480 Posts
if hes not going to be onsite every day atleast every other day and have all the subtrades on the horn so to ensure things are progressing properly so he can schedule everyone to ensure a smooth flow

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
A project manager should "add value" to a project. The "added value" should exceed the cost of the management services.

That is hard to do on small projects of limited dollars, especially at the rates that a good project manager would charge.

While a lot of people have the title of Project Manager, a lot of them don't know what they are supposed to do.

His job should have been to keep foreseeable issues from coming up, not to respond to the issue after it raised its' head.

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
Nobody can answer for you. What you have is a package. The construction company, manager, foreman, subcontractors and including the apprentice and helpers. You may not have needed a manager for such a small kitchen, but you chose the company for some good reason. If the crew is familiar with each other and there is trust, you don't have to see the manager often. As posted already, manager would have the most work to do in pre planning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts