DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
retired framer
38,991 Posts
Yes a ridge beam needs bearing right to the footing at both ends. Header over the window was not necessary in the gable and you would have to add studs under the other end, then you have to consider the foundation and footing.

Pulling the wall back in is hooking a chain to the bottom of one wall and the top of the other with a turn buckle and you would take a few days to pull it back so you don't break anything. Something like 1/8" to 1/4" per day.

·
retired framer
38,991 Posts
Right, but a 4/12 truss would not fit all nice an neatly. I'd have to raise the top plate around 1' 3" to clear the top of the existing 3.2/12 ridge. Wouldn't that addition then look like it was wearing a hat? I should just tear the old 3.2/12 roof off and start over if that's the case.
You could remove the roof and but I would just cut off all the trim and tails
And after you extend the siding up to the new roof.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Roof project got a little more complicated with half of roof now being shed roof. Honestly I'd just use a dropped ridge beam which will span 16'. Where do you live and I'll let you know what size beam you need. Then beam needs to post down but also not a big deal.
With the switch in roof slopes things are getting a little complicated... that and no adequate collar ties.
I'm in Rhode Island. I want to ridge beam that whole 26' 7" run. I will put together some diagrams with pictures and start a new thread for the ridge beam. This did get a little more complicated. I am getting used to it with this house.:smile:

·
DIY Your Own Air Bed
212 Posts
I'm in Rhode Island. I want to ridge beam that whole 26' 7" run. I will put together some diagrams with pictures and start a new thread for the ridge beam. This did get a little more complicated. I am getting used to it with this house.:smile:
I followed this thread and was sure you had a 16' span. Where did the extra 10' come from? Is that combining the area you want to work in? That left structure in your pictures doesn't look like 26'... looks like 16'. You can span 16'... you need to drop a column in 26' unless you use a WF steal beam or something which, in most cases, is never needed in residential.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I followed this thread and was sure you had a 16' span. Where did the extra 10' come from? Is that combining the area you want to work in? That left structure in your pictures doesn't look like 26'... looks like 16'. You can span 16'... you need to drop a column in 26' unless you use a WF steal beam or something which, in most cases, is never needed in residential.
Look for new thread:
Ridge beam over old roof.

The left part of this diagram is the part in question. 16x24 room. I was thinking about putting beams from the east wall (17' 3") to the west wall.
Now I want to put a ridge beam above the existing roof all the way across the old roof.

Attachments

·
DIY Your Own Air Bed
212 Posts
Guess you are looking at around a 20" beam now. Also... you need to really make sure to tie not only the rafters down to beam, but the beam to the outside posts.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts