DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! My wife and I just purchased an older home and are fixing it up a bit before we move in. Now that the inside is well underway, I've set my eyes on the outside. The house is on an awkward hill position so there are retaining walls on the side and front of the house. The front of the house has decorative red bricks but the side of the house is just an old cement wall that was plastered with what looks like stucco. I don't know if it's from the original build or what but whoever did it must have done a horrible job. From what I've heard stucco is supposed to last forever. Anyways... we got what we got and now I'm wondering what to do with it. Is it salvageable? I really would like to try and handle it myself and doing a whole demo and rebuild makes my brain explode. Would I be able to do re-stucco over the old stucco? Just maybe do a better job? I was also thinking maybe do a thin decorative brick on top? I would love some feedback on this. Also, I am a first time poster so maybe I'm doing this wrong as well. Let me know. Thanks!!!
It says I need one post to post links so I guess I can't put images. I'm going to try and do a reply to this with the pics.

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,996 Posts
Also, I am a first time poster so maybe I'm doing this wrong as well. Let me know. Thanks!!!
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Use Paragraphs,... Please,....
Yer word soup is very hard on the eyes tryin' to help ya,...
Make it Easy for Us,....
Thank you,....

As for yer walls,....
It appears to be stacked blocks, 'n surface bonded,...
I ain't a Mason, but I never liked Blocks in general, let alone blocks not mortared together,...
Anyways,....
You got some serious structural issues, more so than the eye-apeal of the coatin',...

Much of it might be fixable by knockin' the blocks back into line,....
The tipped over top piece, yer probably goin' to have to break up, 'n redo,...
Maybe not, maybe it can be pried, 'n beaten into place,....

IF ya could get all the block reset, then ya gotta prep the surfaces for recoverin' it with whatever it is they use,...
Somebody will be along with ideas,.. I just donno what I'd use,...
Maybe grout, 'n glass fiber,..?? donno,...

I'd probably coat the backside of it too,...
Keep out water, 'n help stiffen it up some,...

Myself,.... I'd Rip it Out, 'n start over,.. with something other than blocks,...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts