DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live with my mom. She has an old well, with a rotting lid. It's about 5 feet in diameter. I didnt want a deer falling through the lid, so I stacked some plywood on top. I checked between the wood, and it is crawling with bugs. Im sure some made it into the well. Im afraid its contaminating the water table, or something. My moms not interested in doing anything about it. I was gonna have it abandoned, but it was too expensive. I dont want a bunch of bugs in the well water, so I was gonna take it all off, exposing the old lid, and then build a fence around it so large animals couldn't walk on it. Should I leave it like it is, and let the bugs fester, or take all the plywood off, and build fhe fence around it until I can make enough to get it abandoned? Im and idiot when it comes to construction, and stuff, so im not sure what to do.

·
Naildriver
12,350 Posts
Is it really 5' in diameter or is it a standard 30" bored well? Can you post pictures of the well casing with the lid off and a measuring tape across the opening. Be careful as black widow spiders love to locate on those lids and they are venomous.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can take the boards I put on off, then you can get a pretty good idea of how big it is. Im afraid to mess with the original lid, as I'm afraid it will fall apart. Its that rotten. Also, a well driller came up, and measured it saying it was 5 feet wide. Im fairly certain its a hand dug well. About 12 feet deep.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it really 5' in diameter or is it a standard 30" bored well? Can you post pictures of the well casing with the lid off and a measuring tape across the opening. Be careful as black widow spiders love to locate on those lids and they are venomous.
I can take the boards I put on off, then you can get a pretty good idea of how big it is. Im afraid to mess with the original lid, as I'm afraid it will fall apart. Its that rotten. Also, a well driller came up, and measured it saying it was 5 feet wide. Im fairly certain its a hand dug well. About 12 feet deep.

·
Registered
6,791 Posts
If it's ready to be abandoned, why worry about bugs in it or rotten lid falling into it? For permanency, you can frame a box to sit on the well and pour concrete cap.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Don't worry about the bugs contaminating the water table. If it's not being used and won't be in the future, the best thing to do is to fill it. The well driller can tell you the requirements for that. As Carpdad says, you could pour a new cap.

But if you post pictures, as Chandler suggested, you might get better suggestions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it's ready to be abandoned, why worry about bugs in it or rotten lid falling into it? For permanency, you can frame a box to sit on the well and pour concrete cap.
My main concern is the well water contaminating the water table, thus contaminating my neighbors well. I wouldn't be as worried if that wasn't a factor.

·
Registered
233 Posts
At only 12 feet deep I would wonder if it's even in the same water table as the neighbors. Their well log might be on record somewhere. Besides bugs are not a contaminate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't worry about the bugs contaminating the water table. If it's not being used and won't be in the future, the best thing to do is to fill it. The well driller can tell you the requirements for that. As Carpdad says, you could pour a new cap.

But if you post pictures, as Chandler suggested, you might get better suggestions.
if you look hard, you can kind of see the lid. I was using those branches, and the 2×4's you see to the left as extra support for the plywood.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've seen a number of similar old wells in similar and have have come close to falling in a couple that weren't obvious until I walked on them. If you can afford to abandon it, the next best thing is to replace the well lid with a new precast. The well driller you talked to may know where you can buy one. Or, you could build your own by forming it up with wood and adding some rebar. The best would be a "shoe box" lid that fits over the lip and might help keep some groundwater out of the well. Since your main concern is safety, anything that fully covers the well would work--it wouldn't even necessarily need to be round.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts