DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a sunflower farm here in NJ that we've been going to over the past few years.

I am amazed how few weeds are in the plots with soooo many sunflowers.

Speaking to them, they said they pull out the tulip bulbs (they have a spring tulip season on these same plots they have the sunflowers), put down fertilizer, rototill the soil, put the seeds in, then the next day they spray with a pre-emergent that they say creates a barrier on the surface to keep weeds from getting through the surface. I asked doesn't that stop the sunflowers and they said sunflowers are stronger / can poke through the soil. Not sure if they mean there's a physical barrier or a chemical barrier that kills (some types of) seeds / new sprouts). And then water for the rest of the season (he said the seeds have fertilizer on their shells).

The guy I was talking to said he didn't know the name of the pre-emergent. They plant in stages so different plots are blooming over their fall season of several weeks.

It was easy to see the soil around the shorter / younger sunflower plants and it was very barren next to the sunflower sprouts. Wish I took a picture.

And I asked if he'd feel comfortable eating something grown in that soil with that pre-emergent... It seems so long lasting and powerful. He said yes, it's a common / safe pre-emergent used on lots of produce.

Here's a video I made : )

Any idea what pre-emergent
a) lasts months
b) allows plants like sunflowers to get through
c) isn't all that toxic.

THANKS!

·
Registered
23,365 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Nik333 Thanks for that document! It kinda goes over my head, but what was the shock part of that?

That doesn't (at least I don't see it) address how long the pre-emergent will last. The whole season? I am looking to plant under bird feeders in addition to other areas. At least under the feeders, I could see birds / squirrels breaking up the ground opemning the seeds. The more of that, the shorter pre-emergent will last, right?

And while I talked of sunflowers specifically, I guess I am interested in the best pre-emergent in general. Weeding is a pain in my small back yard. Seeing acres of sunflowers with minimal weeds around them? I am in awe!

·
Registered
17,380 Posts
@Nik333 Thanks for that document! It kinda goes over my head, but what was the shock part of that?

That doesn't (at least I don't see it) address how long the pre-emergent will last. The whole season? I am looking to plant under bird feeders in addition to other areas. At least under the feeders, I could see birds / squirrels breaking up the ground opemning the seeds. The more of that, the shorter pre-emergent will last, right?

And while I talked of sunflowers specifically, I guess I am interested in the best pre-emergent in general. Weeding is a pain in my small back yard. Seeing acres of sunflowers with minimal weeds around them? I am in awe!
What are you trying to grow?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What am I trying to grow? Plants without weeds : ) specifically, I guess corn and sunflowers. But love to find a pre-emergent that was as good as what I saw at this sunflower farm - zero to minimal weeds around loads of sunflowers, with supposedly 1 application of pre-emergent the day after seeding the sunflower seeds. and i'd hope to be able to use it around other plants that are already existing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts