DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was gifted to me but I have no need for it. It is very heavy and just taking up room in my garage. I don't know what material it is exactly or what I could possibly sell it for, if anyone can help me with that I'd appreciate it a ton!

A bit more info on this: can't tell too well in this photo but it seems to be a fully finished product on the top side, and on the bottom it is ready to be glued. I'm guessing by the round hole in it that it's meant for a bathroom sink. I was told by the person that gave it to me that it was worth around 1.5k but that doesn't seem realistic to me.

·
Registered
12,221 Posts
That's an interesting piece. What are the dimensions?

Is it painted on the surface to give it that forest look?

If it's natural granite or marble, it certainly could be worth $1500.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was told it was natural but I don't know if it's marble or granite, I don't know much about this type of thing. it is not painted, this seems to have been cut from a bigger piece, shaped and finished. It definitely looks even better in person.

The dimensions I wrote down (I apologize for not being more detailed about what they are but I'm currenly at work) are 2' 8" x 2' 1.5" and 17" x 12.5". The smaller measurement is the square hole.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,144 Posts
Marble is soft, will scratch easily with a knife, Granite is hard, tough to scratch.

Also a little muriatic acid will etch marble, but not granite.

ED

Attention: only try to scratch the underside, don't mar the polished surface. Ruins it sale value.

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
Looks like marble to me----it is scrap at this point---the useable parts are to small to use for much more than a hobby/craft project.

If you have a friend that likes to build small projects--that might be interesting to him-

·
Civil Engineer
5,832 Posts
The piece is almost certainly not granite due to lack of quartz and biotite crystals, and the prominent veining. Could be marble, but there are probably a dozen other different types of rock that it could be also. As to value, put it up on Craigs List or EBay, but understand that due to the dimensions, anyone purchasing it will have to build around it, so that severely limits the utility of the piece, and probably makes it tough to sell

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
i believe its an african quartz which has no value at all if you can't use it & no one will buy it,,, even giving it away will require effort on your part,,, dawg's wife MAY pay for crating so send it to her frt collect :wink2:

·
Registered
143 Posts
This was gifted to me but I have no need for it. It is very heavy and just taking up room in my garage. I don't know what material it is exactly or what I could possibly sell it for, if anyone can help me with that I'd appreciate it a ton!

A bit more info on this: can't tell too well in this photo but it seems to be a fully finished product on the top side, and on the bottom it is ready to be glued. I'm guessing by the round hole in it that it's meant for a bathroom sink. I was told by the person that gave it to me that it was worth around 1.5k but that doesn't seem realistic to me.

That is Rainforest Green Marble, a Serpentinite mineral rock. It really isn't a marble, but commercially is referred to/sold as such. It is beautiful! :smile:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.