DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Naildriver
14,837 Posts
Not sure, but I plow a thousand of them under in the early spring after "spurt" growth of weeds. I kill all that I can before planting.

Reactions: DoomsDave

·
Registered
18,047 Posts
@ddawg16 could you give a shot with a better view of the way the leaves are laid out?

Looks like a Shamel Ash, which sprouts from winged seeds that fly into your garden.

If that’s what it is, it’ll get 40 feet tall with a 6-8 foot thick trunk in about 20-30 years, sometimes sooner.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
18,369 Posts
Once again, I get to say.

Take a cutting to your County Ag officer, they know what it is, and if it is worth trying to transplant, or let grow where it is.

Or to tear it out and kill all it's family that comes along to avenge it's death.

You pay taxes every year for this service, USE IT.

ED

·
JOATMON
16,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@ddawg16 could you give a shot with a better view of the way the leaves are laid out?

Looks like a Shamel Ash, which sprouts from winged seeds that fly into your garden.

If that’s what it is, it’ll get 40 feet tall with a 6-8 foot thick trunk in about 20-30 years, sometimes sooner.
this better?

Which reminds me....I need to put down some more snail bait

Plant Botany Food Leaf vegetable Window

Plant Plant community Terrestrial plant Grass Flowering plant

·
Registered
18,047 Posts
@ddawg16 that looks like a fat and happy baby ash tree, soon to become a bigger one, then an enormous one.

Ordinarily, I'd concur with @de-nagorg 's admonition, but only if there's really a mystery about what it is and what to do about it.

Here there isn't. It's an ash, and the best thing to do is paint it with "brush B Gon" or other tricofyr concentrate and just kill it. I wouldn't mix and spray, since it will get on and kill other nearby plants. You could also use some straight, undiluted glyphosate, but tricofyr is better.

If you're Superman, the Incredible Hulk, et al, you can try to pull it out, but they root really fast, really deep. If you yank they break and regrow.

Below is a picture of a yard full of ash trees that sprouted and someone didn't get rid of them. Based on pictures I've seen of your place, I suspect this is not your thing.
Automotive side-view mirror Vehicle Plant Car Automotive lighting

Table Furniture Plant Tree Shade

·
Registered
18,047 Posts
Dave and DN....thanks for the input...I guess I better yank it out....and if the roots are that big...I won't relocate it.
I have the old clay sewer pipe
Get some chemical killer. You yank it out, and it resprouts. Maybe ask a neighbor to borrow a bit. It doesn't take much. I suspect you'll want some on hand anyway. Each year I murder about a dozen Ash babies at my place.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
18,369 Posts
Dave: the leaf looks a bit different than the one you show.

Might be a close relative though.

DDawg, you can try to yank it out, and if it comes back, then get the chemical brush on treatment.

It looks very near to other desirable plants, so the spray might get them all, be careful to not drip any brush chemical around and you should be good.

ED

·
Registered
18,047 Posts
It's your and his decisions, but if you keep them away from and off of the kids, and use in limited quantities, there won't be a problem.

Tricofyr is different from glyphosate, and it seems to work better on woody plants.

·
Registered
18,047 Posts
I strongly doubt @ddawg16 ’s weed tree is an avocado. It looks much more like an ash. It’s very vigorous and upright; avocados spread more and don’t put on vertical height nearly as fast.

My neighbor has avocados and squirrels bring them and their seeds into my yard. Ash seeds fly in all the time. I get a lot of both.

One way to find out is to give that baby tree a big yank. If it is an avocado it’ll pull right out of the ground, including the remnants of the seed. Ash root really deep really fast.

·
Registered
18,047 Posts
Here’s a mature ash tree in a yard near me.

Not sure how old it is but it’s nowhere near as old as a comparably sized oak or sugar maple.

Plant Shade Tree Sky Window

·
JUSTA MEMBER
18,369 Posts
Here’s a mature ash tree in a yard near me.

Not sure how old it is but it’s nowhere near as old as a comparably sized oak or sugar maple.

View attachment 674012

If that would grow here, I would adopt some to " spread far and wide," over my prairie.

But I doubt that it would survive even one of those -0 winters we have.

Cottonwoods are the state tree choice here.

ED

1 - 20 of 35 Posts