DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

What kind of hinges for this project?

484 Views 7 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  spdivr
Hi folks, I've been going nuts trying to figure this one out. Every time I think I am on the right track, I find out the product isn't available, or isn't what I need.

I am trying to make a shelf space in a wall, covered with a wooden plank, with hidden hinges. The attached picture shows the basic idea. I could use either style of opening, but the wood covers and overlaps the opening by an inch on the top and bottom, so I can't use a regular hinge.

Any help is greatly appreciated!


See less See more
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Check out the Richilieu site. Lee Valley might have something as well.
How thick are your panels? 1" overlay is pretty big. If you could close up your gaps to 1/16 to 1/8" you could use soss hinges.
See link below to BLUM catalog


The 1" overlap is what is making selection a challenge. If you modify your design to 5/8" overlay, there are numerous hinges available. 3/4" overlay would be a little less common, but still available. For 1" you can look at the Compact Series -- they are intended to mount on face frame cabinets, but you may be able to make them work for your application --- see pages 82 and 89.
You might look at the sliding hinge to move it out but I don't think they make a 180 degree opening hinge.

See less See more
Thanks folks, for the responses. I could probably trip it to 5/8".
Although, at the moment, I am wondering if I should go with the option to lift out (like the example on the far right on my drawing), but hinged at the bottom instead of at the top?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.